Friday, June 14, 2013

Book Reviews!

I've been reading a lot, which has been nice.  I was pretty apprehensive about Bates switching to one nap a day, but I must say, it's so nice!  We get out and about in the morning, he sleeps for 2-3 hours at midday, then we play until Dada gets home.  So during those 2-3 hours, I usually have some time for reading, which has been a lovely addition to my days.

So here we go (remember - no spoilers - so read away):

1) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

This concludes my reading of Lisa See for awhile because there aren't any of her other books in our public library's e-database.  Of the three I've now read, this is my least favorite.  This one takes place in China when it was ruled by emperors (I don't know - 1800s?) and as all her books have been, it's an awesome historical picture of what it was like to live back then.  (Ie, pretty crappy if you were a woman.)  This book is about two women who were basically pen pals (it was some technical thing in China) the whole span of their lives.  They went through lots of hardship, some joy, births, deaths, etc. and you follow their journeys during the book.

Overall it was fine - not great, not horrible.  I thought the end was sort of dumb and I thought one of the women (Snow Flower) was annoying and weak.  But it was an ok read.  I would check out Lisa See's other books before this one, though.

2) Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

This was our book club book for May and we all loved it!  This is one of my favorite books I've read in awhile.  It follows different stories about interwoven people - a few in present day and a few in 1950s Italy and LA. It's about old Hollywood and new Hollywood and relationships and life - and it's so good.  It's super engaging and written well.  It would make both a good summer/beach read and a good book club book.  Definitely read this one if you're looking for a new book!

3) Inferno by Dan Brown

Oh Dan Brown.  I might be a huge nerd for saying this, but I always look forward to his new books coming out.  I sort of feel like I'm on vacation when I read them; they totally suck you in and take you to exotic locales.  And I love remembering my art history from high school and college.

This one is a pretty typical DB.  It's no Da Vinci Code, but really, none of his other books have been as good, in my opinion.  You've got your exotic locales (Florence, Venice, and Turkey), a hot, young woman, lots of art, plot twists, an international disaster that's going to happen if Robert Langdon doesn't save the day, etc.  Check it out if you're a fan, it will suck you in like they all do.

No comments: