Friday, March 1, 2013

Toms?

What are everyone's thoughts on Toms (the shoes)?

I've always thought it's an amazing cause (if you live under a rock and don't know, for every pair purchased, a pair of shoes is given to a child in need).  BUT, I've always thought they are really ugly.  Am I right?  They are ugly....

Or are they?

For some reason, I've started looking at them differently of late.  And maybe I don't think they're so ugly.  Maybe, in fact, I might want a pair for myself?

As a stay-at-home mom now, I think Toms might fit into my life pretty well.  When I used to go to my 40-hour/week formal business attire job, I didn't have a ton of need for casual shoes.  I wore my work shoes at work and then I had other shoes (mainly flats and boots) I would wear outside of work.  (And we're talking cool weather; in the summer I live in sandals.)  But now that I'm mostly home or out running errands with Bates, I need comfy, easy, casual shoes.  My flats and boots work, of course, but there are many days when I just put on jeans, a t-shirt, and a fleece jacket (because there are many days we don't even leave the house).  Nice flats feel a little dressy on those days and boots require a little bit more time than I'd like.  I often end up wearing my Keen water shoes (which are really cute and don't look like water shoes, but still) on those days.  I think a pair of Toms, instead, would work nicely.

One of my main hesitations is the fact that teenagers wear them.  In fact, my mom is a middle school teacher and says they are HOT for 6th-8th graders right now.  Ha.

So what do you guys think?  Toms for adult casual wear?  Also - if any of you guys happen to own a pair, what's their comfort level like?  Could I wear them when I take Bates and Hank on a leisurely walk around the block?

(And oh my gosh - I just looked on their website and saw they have BABY SHOES!  Bates and mama could match!)

7 comments:

Jonathan said...

I definitely think Bates needs some shoes, but I think Daddy should pick them out to match him, not you. I'm just saying....

Tippy said...

Had a pair of Toms and really liked them. Very comfy. But not so practical in rainy weather - totally suck up the water. I absolutely wore my pair out, but just haven't taken the time to buy another pair. I think you'd like them with your jeans/t-shirt combo.

Patricia Clayton said...

I love them! On other people, that is. I would go to a store and try them on instead of buying online. I wanted a pair, but they looked really strange on me for some reason.

Kate said...

I'm also not crazy about how they look on me but I do have some and I wear them a lot. I've actually worn a hole through my last pair and got another pair when Zulily had them on sale. I personally wouldn't be comfortable to stroll on a walk in them but I just like to have more support. I use them the most as house shoes but will also put them on for errands with yoga pants or jeans. I will say that a lot of college students wear them which makes me feel more "hip" than thinking of middleschoolers:) The baby shoes are so sweet!!

jessicakamrath said...

Harper and I both have a couple pairs. We love them! Y'all definitely need some!

LB said...

First can I say how impressed I am that you wear jeans at home all day - I would be in sweatpants, fo sho. Second, if you end up wanting another alternative, I just bought some shoes that are in a similar style from Targ for $20 which are super comfy that I'm gonna take to Africa / so maybe I'll give you the full download after that!

b|rad said...

I own two pairs. Agreed they don't work well in the rain and I definitely think you should try them on first, though I tend to find them cheaper to buy online than in stores. Yes, you can take a walk in them but not like an intense walk. They also don't last forever. A year normally depending how much/often you wear them.