Monday, March 18, 2013

Colored Jeans?

Can we talk about the colored jeans trend for a second?  What's that?  You were hoping to?  You've been thinking about them a lot?

Well, great - you've come to the right place!

So when I was going into 6th grade, my mom gave her credit card to my sister and me and told us we could each pick out 2 back-to-school outfits at the mall.  I don't remember what we got my sister, but I remember we headed straight to Limited Too to get my outfits.  I ended up coming home with some cool stuff.

Outfit #1:
-black and white checkered flannel shirt
-red waffle shirt (to go under flannel - layering was hot)
-red jeans!

Outfit #2:
-White/teal/blue plaid flannel shirt
-white waffle shirt (to go under flannel, again)
-teal jeans!

I also remember I owned bright cobalt blue jeans that had a matching blue and white striped shirt.  I wore all of this stuff for a couple years, max, and then colored jeans were waaaaay out of style.  Like, could-not-be-seen-wearing-them-at-RVMS-no-way-no-how out of style.

And look where we are now.  We've fast forwarded a few years (almost 20, right?) and colored jeans are everywhere!  And I get it, most things go in and out of style over the years.  But I'm having sort of a tough time with the colored jeans because I remember how quickly and strongly they went from being awesome to awful.  Poof - it was that quick.

I'm also sort of curious if a non-skinny person could wear them.  In fact, the only people I've seen wearing them are thin, or at least on the thin side of average.  And all the colored ones I've seen are skinny jeans.

I'm thinking about myself, for example, in a pair of pink skinny jeans.  And I'm thinking it doesn't look that awesome.  I have a couple pairs of dark-wash skinny jeans, and they are fine(ish) because of the dark wash.  But I imagine if they were light pink, they would not be fine - they wouldn't even be fine-ish.  They would be awfully unflattering.  But then when I read reviews on gap.com and oldnavy.com for their skinny, colored jeans, people say things like, "I'm a curvy size 16 and these fit great."  So who knows?

What do you guys think?  Do you own any colored skinny jeans?  Do you think the trend is cool or a little too reminiscent of those early 90s years?

(I know Patti's current project is to make her own pair [because she's crafty like that] - so we can all tune in to her blog to see how they turn out.)

2 comments:

jessicakamrath said...

Love colored jeans! I think it's totally a trend and will be gone before we know it, so I'm going to enjoy them while I can! I mean, once I can wear regular clothes again, of course.

Tippy said...

I'm not sure how quickly the trend will disappear. We've been rocking coloured jeans for at least 3 years in the UK and they are not going away. The 80s/90s are back in full force, keeping coloured jeans going. And now patterned jeans are all the rage (Native american patterns, animal prints, stripes, etc). The trick is to get a nice pair. I know that seems contradictory for a 'trend', but you need them to be smooth (no pocket lines or panty lines showing). No creases on the thighs like skinny jeans can do sometimes. Other than that I say go for it!! I started with gray to ease my way in. now I'm tempted by a leopard pair!! I find jeans that are straight legged but not skinny work best for coloured jeans. more flattering