Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Our most recent book club read was The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene.  It's a young adult book that I really enjoyed (as did almost everyone in book club).

It's a story about teenagers with cancer.  But that description doesn't quite do it justice.  It's a story about love, friendship, family, and how all those things look through the lens of a terminal illness.

I tried to think of another book I've read that's written in first person where the main character has cancer - but I don't know that I've read a book like that.  And in fact, I'm not sure it would work if the main character was an adult; it might seem too melodramatic.  But this book worked because teenagers are melodramatic.

And I should mention, these are not just any old teenagers.  They are eloquent, well-spoken, Dawson's Creek-type kids.  They're very smart and philosophical, which certainly takes away an element of realism, but also heightens the book's ability to have deeper themes than the average YA novel.

I don't want to spoil any plots points, so I'll just say this book is a good one to pick up.  It's engaging, heartwarming, heartbreaking, fun - and it's really interesting to see cancer from an "insider's" point of view.  In no way is this book a complete downer, which I think is partially because the narrator is a kid.  Kid's seem to have a different internal monologue about dying than an adult would, I imagine.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: