Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Card

We've never sent Christmas cards before.  I've thought about it every year, but every year decided the cost and time weren't worth it until we had kids.

Well, we have a kid now.  And it dawned on me a couple days ago that Christmas is right around the corner.  So considering the time it takes to have the cards made, sent to us, addressed, and then sent out, I went into panic mode and told Jonathan we needed to take a picture NOW.

I was on a walk through our neighborhood the other day and noticed our friends Jonathan & Patrick (who just bought a beautiful house a few blocks away) had tons of Christmas decorations up.  So we asked them if we could borrow their tree to take a family picture.  We didn't realize we were also asking to borrow their awesome camera/photography skills, but they were more than happy to help.

Bates has always been a little overwhelmed around them (probably because they are loud and energetic, which they would self-admit [so don't think I'm talking badly about our friends]).  But Jonathan and I wondered how the babe would do in our picture since he tends to get a "stone face" when overwhelmed in new situations.

After about 10 pictures with a stone face similar to this (taken at Halloween)...
...we tried a new tactic.  (Ie, Patrick would jump in making funny sounds while waving a toy and when Bates would start to smile, he'd jump out.)  It worked and we got a good shot.  I'll share it on the blog after the holidays.

Once we got home, I jumped on the internet trying to find the best deal on cards.  I had been saving coupons for different picture card websites for the past month.  Our four options were: Minted, Shutterfly, Tiny Prints, and Card Store.  I wanted a cardstock card with room for one picture.  I knew I could find a cute design on any of the sites, so I was searching for the best deal.

The prices were pretty similar except for Card Store.  In fact, Card Store cost almost $100 less than the other sites.  Some of the details were ambiguous (like what type of paper they used to print the picture), so I decided to skip them (when a deal seems too good to be true...).  The winner in the end was Tiny Prints.  I'm so happy with the way the proof looked on the site - hopefully it will look good in person, too!

I feel so proud of myself for finally making this happen!  I can't wait to get them in the mail!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope we are on the list!

LB said...

Fun!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you made. I've always felt the same way about Xmas cards but every year I'm still super tempted to make one with me brian and powder, ha! Still haven't pulled the trigger though :)