Monday, November 26, 2012

9 Months Old!

Please excuse this deviation from "1/2 Marathon Monday" for a brief announcement:

Bates is NINE months old today!

I mean.  Wow.  Nine months seems old (respectively speaking, of course).  I remember when I first started attending mommy group (when he was about 6 weeks) and there were some 9+ month olds who seemed like little people.  At the time, Bates just seemed like a baby, but these old kids...they could sit up and crawl and talk and eat real food.  It seemed insane they had only been alive for 9 months.

But now?  My baby can sit up and crawl and talk and eat real food.  He sleeps through the night.  He takes two strong naps everyday.  He has five teeth.  He eats three meals a day.  When did this happen??

I haven't been great at monthly posts on the little guy.  (I haven't been great at blogging period, but whatev.)  But if I had to do a snapshot of the life of a 9-month old, I'd say it's somewhat hectic.  Bates started crawling about 10 days ago.  It was coming for awhile: he'd get on all fours and rock back and forth.  And then on that first day, for whatever reason, he was able to propel himself forward.  Actually, he was trying to get one of Hank's toys - that was what made him move forward.  But since then, it's been full steam ahead.  It took a couple days for it to set in, but now?  He's a pro, which is really fun for him, and sort of stressful for me (ie, constantly chasing him and trying to keep him from putting things in his mouth like cords and shoes and the dog's toys).

Ever since our 6-month doctor's appointment (the one where his weight had dropped into a low percentile), we've been trying to get him to eat a lot.  He has three meals a day of baby food and then gets puffs on his tray to feed himself.  As of a couple weeks ago, I've been giving him little pieces of "people food" to try.  He's slowly but surely learning what to do with a chunk of food in his mouth (although this afternoon I gave him some pieces of corn tortilla and he couldn't chew them enough and puked a little because they got caught in the back of his throat).  He still gets 4 bottles of breastmilk a day, too.  I need to pull out the sippy cup more, but I always forget because any time I've tried it in the past, he's been uninterested.

His "talking" in the past month or so has become more exciting for Jonathan and me because he's now babbling "dadadadada" and "mamamama."  He still hasn't assigned those words to either of us, but it's cute to hear him say them, regardless.

Overall he's such a happy little guy!  I don't know if all babies at this age are happy all the time or if we just got lucky, but he doesn't really cry unless he's hurt or we take a toy away.  In fact, we've had a massive sickness hovering over our house for a few weeks (which I keep meaning to blog about), and Bates had a double ear infection that I didn't really notice because his mood didn't change at all.  I took him to the doctor because he had a bad cough and had been waking up in the middle of the night and that's when they noticed the ears.  Just call me Mother of the Year.

One thing that's picked up in the last couple of months is a general reserved attitude when he's around new people or strangers.  Instead of being his sweet, smiley self, he becomes pretty straight faced and doesn't really crack a smile until he feels comfortable.  For Thanksgiving week, Jonathan's sister and her 3 kids were in town and the first day they were here, Bates was a little unsure.  (That quickly went away and then he was really into them.)

Life is good for us, though.  I can't believe 3/4 of my little baby's first year are done!  What an incredible 9 months it has been!

(And let's just say...I can't wait to be done breastfeeding in three months!!)

No comments: