Monday, October 29, 2012

1/2 Marathon Monday: Weeks 4 & 5

Week 4
M - Rest
T - 4 miles (treadmill)
W - Rest
Th - 4 miles (treadmill)
F - Rest
S - 7 miles
S - walked around the zoo

Week 5
M - Rest
T - 4 miles (treadmill)
W - Rest
Th - 4 miles (treadmill)
F - Rest
S - 8 miles
S - Rest

I missed my week 4 post - oops!  Life has been a little crazy the past couple weeks.  Actually, with all this running in the mix, sometimes it feels like I don't have much free time.  BUT - even so - I've decided that I really, really like having a training plan to follow.  Adding a mile every week to the long runs has been so nice.

I was worried going into my 8-miler this weekend for a few reasons.  1) 8 seemed like a lot of miles.  2) I had a really, really good 7 mile run the week before; I was worried I couldn't possibly have two good runs, two weeks in a row.  3) It was cooooold out!

But it was awesome!  I had another really, really good run!  For both the 7 & 8 miles, I had great negative splits (starting around an 11-minute mile and working up to a 9:15/9:30 at the end).  My paces for both averaged out around 10:30-ish.

I talked to my marathon guru Patti about tips for drinking and fueling on the run.  Her personal plan is as follows: when running 6 miles and more, drink water every 3 miles.  When running for longer than an hour and a half, fuel with a Gu packet + water after an hour.

So on the 7 and 8 mile runs, I brought a water bottle and drank it during mile 3-4.  I'm not sure what it would feel like to not drink it, but I definitely feel fine in terms of hydration at the end (the cold weather probably helps this).  I think next week I'm going to try having a Gu packet after an hour.  I don't have much experience with Gu, so if anyone has any tips or thoughts about it, I'm all ears.

I'm not really doing as much cross training as is suggested in my training plans, but really, I'm just doing what I can do.  It's hard enough to knock out 4 miles/cool out/shower/eat during Bates' morning naps on T/Th.  I feel accomplished that I'm able to exercise 3-4 days a week.

I'm not hoping to kill any records on half marathon day.  I just want to run the majority and finish. :)

Best podcasts these two weeks: "How McDonalds Works," "This American Life: Near Death Experiences," "What if the Earth Were a Cube," and "Tidally-Locked Perpetual Darkness."

1 comment:

LB said...

Have you been listening to the Freakonomics podcast? It's really interesting! Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it. Good luck with the rest of your training!!!