Monday, October 15, 2012

1/2 Marathon Monday: Week 3

Week In Review

M - Rest
T - 4 miles (treadmill)
W - walk
Th - 2.75 miles (treadmill)
F - walk
S - Long Run 6 miles (sort of)
S - 3 miles (treadmill)

This was a baaaaaad week in running.  Lame.

First, my during-the-week 4-miler on Thursday was cut short because Someone Who Won't Be Named took a super short nap.

Then Saturday was just rough - that's all that can be said about it.  I coerced my friend Emily into running with me.  And while it was great to have company, I think it ultimately didn't help my run.  1) It was hot out - hotter than it has been in a few weeks.  2) We were doing a lot of chatting, which is great, but I'm not sure my endurance is ready yet to talk the whole time on a 6-mile run.  In fact, I'd say my endurance might be more at the point of "breath so heavily I might die until I can finally get to the end of the run."  3) Pacing was tricky with another person in tow.  Basically, when I start a long run, I want to be running an 11-minute+ pace (which will hopefully get faster & faster with each mile [negative splits], ideally ending around a 10:30).  Well, 11+ is slow.  And it's really hard even when it's just me to actually start out so slow because in the beginning of a run, you feel good.  In fact, I usually just stare at the Garmin to get my pace right.  With the two of us - feeling good in the beginning and excited to chat - we were faster than we should've been.  And so by the time we got to mile 3, I was feeling rough.  So we walked a lot.

I did 3 miles on Sunday instead of 2 to try to make up a little from the day before.

I don't want to be upset about Saturday, but I'm lying if I say I'm not SUPER scared for this coming long run.  7 is a big number, especially when you haven't officially tackled 6.  We shall see.  The weather report looks promising (ie, a little cooler), so hopefully if I go in really slow in the beginning, I can hold out until the end.

The best Podcasts I listened to this week: "Mother's Milk" (it is some crazy stuff!) and "Recommended Reading" from Stuff to Blow Your Mind (I got some good book recs).

1 comment:

veena. said...

I am loving your 1/2 Marathon Monday series, because I just got back in the swing of running last week to prepare for a 1/2 [my first one, and only second race ever!] in Bombay in January, and your updates are helping to keep me motivated!

I'm going to try your idea of listening to podcasts during my run tomorrow to see how it goes, as I'm getting a bit tired of having the same songs on repeat. When I do longer runs with intervals, I'll generally walk for one song, run for three, walk for one, etc., and it works out pretty well, if that's something that might work for you.

And I totally feel you on running with someone. I am a very solitary runner, but my friend has been getting up and coming to the park with me in the mornings, which has been great for motivation. He's a fast runner, so he does his thing and I do mine, which is really nice. I am definitely not one of those who can run and talk and breathe all at the same time; I'm a multi-tasker, but that's just crazy.

Good luck with your training, and keep your head up! You're going to be great! And if you need some motivation, know I'm sweating through the same thing in India!
v.