Monday, May 21, 2012

First It Was Teen Fiction, Now It's Sleep...

It's no surprise that the amount of uninterrupted free time I have every day is somewhat slim.  I have lots of time to peruse Facebook and email on my phone (since I can do that while snuggling with a baby or pumping breast milk), but when it comes to straight-up uninterrupted time, I'm pretty restricted to his naps.

But I thought I was doing pretty well with blogging (right??) and keeping up with all my favorite blogs.  I would just pull out my computer every time I put him down for a nap and go to town in the blogosphere.

But then young adult fiction came along...

So awhile ago, I read a book called Divergent.  It's the first part of a young adult dystopia trilogy and was somehow recommended to me; I can't remember if I read about it somewhere or if it was one of those "You might also like" on amazon.  Anyway, I enjoyed reading it.  It reminded me of a mix between Hunger Games and Twilight; that is, it had the whole dystopia element of HGs (with a strong female protagonist), but also had the cheesy teen love story.  Win-win, right?  The author is also super young (I think she graduated from Northwestern a few years ago), so I wanted to support a young writer.

Well, on May 1st, the second installment came out!  So suffice, I wanted to re-read the first one before I moved on to Insurgent.  Basically, for 2 weeks, all my free time was spent reading these books.  (Yep, you heard me.)  The second one was a little easier because I bought it on my Kindle and could read while pumping (you can't really hold an actual book while you're doing that).  But this was still a major time suck, obviously.  Oddly, though, as addicted as I am to some of the blogs I read, I was absorbed in these silly young adult books!  I didn't want to put them down!

So yeah - that's where I was for two weeks.

And of late, we've gotten to this place with Bates where he's almost sleeping through the night, but not quite.  I thought our routine was going pretty well.  Then I went to a bachelorette party of a friend for her second marriage (ie, she already has 2 kids and just about everyone at the party has at least one) and we were talking about routines and schedules and sleeping.  I walked away feeling a little conflicted.  A lot of the moms there talked about how they put their kids on strict schedules.  And while I don't 100% agree with this, their kids were sleeping through the night.

So I'm now dedicating my free time to reading books on sleep.  I haven't decided if I want to put him on a schedule yet.  For right now, I just want to learn everything I can about sleep.  And I want to learn different methods for sleep training, so I can then make an informed decision about which route we want to take.

The first book I'm currently reading is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  And I think it might be exactly what I want: it has a scientific explanation of sleep in babies, and then goes on to develop a sleeping plan using the scientific data.  It's written by a pediatrician (which is, surprisingly, a lot more cred than many of the other sleep authors out there) who is also a father of four.

Our tentative plan is for me to read as much as I can in the next couple weeks, and then after our trip to Ohio the first weekend of June (or maybe after his baptism the next weekend [when a ton of family will be in town and our days will be packed with stuff]), we'll move him into his crib in the nursery.  (Whimper.  I love having him in our room, but I also recognize it might be time for him to be on his own.)

So that's where I've been.  Now if you'll excuse me, the boy child is waking up from his morning nap. :)

3 comments:

Tippy said...

Good luck with the sleeping!! :) There are so many crazies out there writing books on how to raise, teach, train, etc kids. At least you found a book that seems reasonable, credible and scientific.

One popular sleep training method in the UK is the eat, play, sleep pattern. Don't have a clue who wrote/writes about it. Have just heard several friends with kids mention it.

LB said...

Good luck! It seems like he's been a great little sleeper so maybe he can figure it out without too much work from mom & dad!

Wendy said...

After reading this post I started Divergent. Oh Four. Must read Insurgent.