Friday, February 24, 2012

Fetal Friday: 39 Weeks

Aaaaaaand - we don't have a baby yet. 

The doctor's due date (which they calculate at your first ultrasound based on baby's size) is Monday.  My own calculations (since I was charting my cycles before I got pregnant) make my due date Sunday.  Either way - hopefully baby will be interested in arriving sooner than later.  I think I said last week that we went ahead and scheduled an induction for March 6th - but that seems years away.  Literally every time I wake up to pee in the middle of the night (which has been ~5 times of late) I wonder if my water is going to break.  I don't really wonder at other times of day, but it just seems like a labor starting at midnight or 1am would be really hard (since you're essentially losing the night of sleep).

But whatev - here I am, days away from my due date - 39 weeks.

How Big Is Baby?
I asked the doctor I saw this week what she thought about this.  Although, when I was recounting it to Jonathan, I realized I didn't remember the conversation as well as I'd like.  She said she thought 8 pounds.  BUT - I can't remember if I asked her: "how big do you think the baby is now" OR "how big do you think baby will be when born."  Sort of an important differentiation, especially if we have to be induced in eleven days.

Symptoms
Starting to get uncomfortable...  My stomach tightens up a lot (Braxton Hicks) but will stay tight for awhile, so it's sort of hard to sit up.  My back is starting to hurt more.  I pee at least 5 times a night - and I swear, it's so bizarre because I'm consuming the same amount of water at the same times of day - but I think my body holds onto the water (in my calves, ha) and doesn't let it out until nighttime.  Also, I now need to sleep with 6 pillows to get comfy.  Yes, 6.

Weight Gain
My weight's been all over the place - some days it's up, some days it's down (I think due to this water retention situation).  As of yesterday, compared to last week, I'm up 3 pounds.  Total gain: 29 pounds.

Exercise
Two (slow) walks outside with Hank and Jonathan.  But you better believe if I still have a baby in me at the end of this weekend, I'm going to hit the treadmill pretty hard next week.

Food
Pancake dinner at church on Tuesday night - mmm!  We also went to El Mezcal last weekend (because the last time we ate there [circa 3 years ago] it was really, really spicy) and we've heard spicy food helps move labor along.  But unfortunately, they've toned it way down - so while delicious - it wasn't as spicy as I was hoping.

Doctor's Appointment
It went fine with the different doctor.  While I probably wouldn't want her as my normal one, I'd feel 100% comfortable if she walked in on delivery day.  As of Wednesday, I'm 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced.

What I'm Looking Forward To
Having the baby.  Doy.

Preparations and Decisions Being Made
Jonathan did some building this week.  He put together the electric swing and the bouncy seat.  We also did some testing with the fancy-schmancy baby monitors; they have a sensor pad that can tell if the baby hasn't moved in a certain amount of time (maybe 60 seconds?) and if that happens an alarm goes off.  But we had to get the pad and how to turn the alarm off figured out.

General Mentality
All emotions, really.  Excited, nervous, scared, joyful, hopeful, terrified, unknowing, etc.  I'm a little nervous about the actual labor - wondering how painful it will be, if we've prepared enough, what will happen if something goes wrong, etc.  But mostly I'm excited (and a little scared!) about having a baby outside of my body.

Belly
Eeeck!  I forgot to take one before I was all comfy in my pajamas on the couch last night.  But since this week is sort of a big one, I'll take one and post it later.  Promise.

Have a great weekend!  Send us some baby-come-out vibes!

2 comments:

LB said...

Ooh I'll miss Fetal Fridays!!!! Do you think you'll make the blog baby-focused in the future and open it up to family (maybe they already read it, not sure)?

katie said...

come on, baby! i was kind of thinking you might have a mardi gras baby, but that has come and gone now. hopefully (s)he'll arrive soon!