Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Green Smoothie - Yum!

I have a little secret.  Or maybe it's no secret at all...

But hear this: if you put raw spinach in a smoothie, you can't taste it and it doesn't affect the texture of the drink.

It's not that spinach tastes bad, but usually when thinking about smoothies, it's not the first ingredient to pop  in your mind.  But think about it - spinach adds nothing calorically, but adds a lot of extra vitamins and fiber you wouldn't get from fruit alone.

So I've developed this little almond/spinach smoothie I'm obsessed with!  It tastes delicious and gives me & baby a ton of raw spinach (which has been a slight food aversion in pregnancy).

What you need:
Fresh spinach, a frozen banana broken into pieces, a packet of Stevia (or your zero-calorie sweetener of choice), 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk - vanilla or chocolate - but you must buy the unsweetened kind if you want to keep the calories in check, and 2 Tbsps. of almond butter (make sure you choose an unsweetened, strong-flavored one - I like Trader Joe's Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseed).  You might also want a few ice cubes.  And you can add any other frozen fruit you want.

In the blender, first put in your almond milk, Stevia, and almond butter.  Then pack in the spinach (I use quite a bit).  Finally, put the frozen banana, ice cubes, and any other frozen fruit you'd like to add.  I think this order of ingredients is key.  Having the heavy banana and ice on top pushes the spinach down once it starts blending.
Then blend.
Then enjoy this delicious, bizarre-looking drink!
This smoothie as written (so, with no other fruit) has 381 calories, according to the Lose It! app on my phone.  It definitely packs a calorie punch, but it's realllllly filling.  I've been known to have it as a meal on it's own.  But you could also add an English muffin or small sandwich and definitely be set for your meal.

If you like almonds and want to get some more raw veg in your diet, check it out!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Whenever I see it I think "Soylent Green is People!"

LB said...

Yum! I would never think about combining those ingredients. We just got a new smoothie maker / processor gadget for Xmas so maybe I'll use this recipe to break it in!

jessicakamrath said...

I've been adding spinach and kale to my smoothies for a few months and Harper drinks them too! Such a great way to get in the greens! I've also been meaning to tell you that I love that you're waiting to find out what you're having. We waited too and it was really great, especially for Kyle since it was something we could both experience for the first time together.