Friday, December 2, 2011

Fetal Friday: 27 Weeks

Oh my gosh, you guys.  Before I get into my weekly recap, I have to share with you an enormous answer to prayers that happened a few days ago: my tailbone pain went away!  Read that again: my tailbone pain went away!  I'm telling you, there was one point when we were in St. Louis when it cramped up and I couldn't move from the hallway to the couch.  Like, the pain was so severe, I didn't know how I was going to put one foot in front of the other and make it to the couch to sit down.  (That incident prompted an emotional breakdown, if you can imagine.)  But now, it's gone!

We got home Sunday afternoon.  It was acting about the same as it had been (which is to say, some moments it was 100% fine and unnoticeable, and other moments, when I moved or sat wrong, the tailbone area butt exploded with sharp, stabbing pain). 

After we unpacked our bags, I went to the grocery store.  I was a little surprised at the store that I was able to move as much as I could, but didn't really think anything of it.  When I got home, I decided to try a little walk on the treadmill and it wasn't a good one.  I did 30 minutes and the fastest I could go (which still caused quite a bit of pain) was 3.0.

But then the weird thing happened...  When I got off the treadmill, I went into the kitchen to start making dinner.  I was standing the whole time (obv), and noticed when we sat down to eat that the tailbone wasn't bothering me.  (And note, it definitely should've been bothering me - that is, after a walk and having to stand for awhile, that should've been a recipe for disaster.)  And seriously, just like that, after weeks of agony, the pain hasn't reappeared!  Now I definitely feel a little tenderness here and there if I move in a certain way or when I walked at a fast pace (4.2!) on the treadmill.  But it's just barely noticeable.  I think if I started running or something, it could easily slip out of place again, but I'm hoping if I keep my activity reasonable, I'll be fine.  Thank the Lord!  (No really, thank the Lord, because I'd been praying pretty hard for pain relief.)

So - moving on - our 27 week update.  What's up third trimester??

How Big Is Baby?
Baby is as big as a head of cauliflower: 16 inches and 2.5 lbs.

Symptoms
-Heartburn.  And it's a weird heartburn that doesn't really hurt, but instead makes me wonder if I'll puke it up because it's sitting so high up in my chest (almost in my throat).
-Getting full really fast; I just can't eat as much as I used to.  And when I try to eat that much (a la Thanksgiving/the whole St. Louis trip/book club), I get the awful heartburn afterwards.
-Swollen ankles - ha!  I looked down the other day and was like, "um...whoa!!"
-Nesting - is that a "symptom?"  I've been feeling the need to get stuff in order.

Weight Gain
I'm just going to keep it real on the blog, guys.  My weight gain this week was four pounds!  I was actually a little freaked out for a second (since one of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia is sudden, extreme weight gain).  But a quick visit to the blood pressure machine at Kroger dispelled that worry.  I'll definitely talk to my doctor about it next week, but I think it's just holiday overeating combined with no weight gain last week combined with slightly less-than-average weight gain up until this point.  So now my total gain is 19 pounds, and actually, I think that's about on track.

Exercise
After Sunday night's change in tailbone status, I've been able to walk everyday!  And sometimes at a good pace (4.0 and above)!

Food Aversions / Cravings
Not really, although I've been thinking a lot about BBQ...  (But after the thought pops in my head, I  think even harder about how bad it would make my heartburn.)

Dr's Appointment?
Next week.  We'll do my gestational diabetes test (the one where you drink that sugar-y liquid all pregnant women talk about) and I'll get my Rh+ shot (my blood type is Rh-, and since that's uncommon, you have to get a shot of the + to help your body in your next pregnancy not recognize the fetus as a foreign object it needs to fight against).

What I'm Looking Forward To
-Getting the office more cleaned up this weekend.
-Putting away the presents we got last weekend (since they're all sitting in the living room right now).

Preparations and Decisions Being Made
We finally made a decision about where to put the massive desk!  We realized it will juuuuust barely fit in the guest bedroom.  So attention to anyone who plans to be our guest at some point: that room is going to be really tight, moving forward.

General Mentality
I've been feeling a little anxious this week.  I feel like I have 10000 things to do, and I worry that I'm forgetting something.  Also, maybe a little more emotional than normal.

Belly
I had already showered and was in my nighttime "lounge clothes" when we got around to taking this.  Note: there's a stain on my shirt.  I thought it was just water, but then it never dried.  Oops.  Also note: I had just been crying a little after watching a documentary about dog & cat ownership.  See note about my general mentality.

From the front:
And from the side:

And for your viewing pleasure:

Have a wonderful weekend!  Good luck to my runner friends (the Memphis marathon is this weekend).

1 comment:

Tippy said...

I think I have an issue with whatever is giving you the baby's size compared to vegetables. I have never seen a 16 inch 2.5 pound cauliflower!! Holy Cow!!