Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bah Humbug?

I mentioned once before on the blog, but we decided this year not to put up Christmas decorations.  We just have too much going on in our house right now with trying to convert the office to a nursery and trying to find places to store all the baby gear.  It's not that we couldn't have put stuff up, but it almost seems like it would've been counter-productive to the clearing/cleaning up.

The weird thing, though, is that it doesn't really feel like Christmas.  I think this is partially due to the lack of deco, but also because our brains are honed in on the end of February, not anything before then.

Some good has come out of this, though.  One, I don't really feel stressed about Christmas-present buying like I usually do.  (Baby gear buying is a different story...)  Two, I haven't felt consumed by consumerism, which tends to happen usually when I get 1000 emails from different retailers everyday and have tons of people asking what I want for Christmas.  (Fact: I've had a really hard time coming up with presents for family to get me, because I just don't need much right now for myself.)  And three, I haven't eaten my weight in holiday sweet treats yet.

But all that to say, I love Christmas and definitely want to partake in some holiday activities.  So here are my thoughts on how to maximize the rest of the month.

-listen to more Christmas music (I popped Charlie Brown on at work yesterday)
-watch Christmas movies! (I'm so sad - we've watched none thus far)
-make Christmas cookies (and try not to consume too many myself - actually, maybe this isn't the best idea...)
-eat/drink seasonal-specific things: eggnog/eggnog ice cream, peppermint ice cream (my fave!), peppermint bark, hot chocolate, Christmas cookies other people have made, etc.
-go to the zoo lights thing, even though I can't ice skate this year
-maybe go to the Shelby Farms light display??  (Jonathan - every year I say I want to do this...)
-get a holiday-scented candle (maybe pine?)
-throw out our pumpkins and take down our Fall wreath on the front door - oops

Even just typing these out puts me in the spirit a little more!  Just because we don't have Christmas decs up doesn't mean we have to completely forget about the holiday!

Did you guys decorate at your houses?  And/or are you consumed by "the holiday spirit?"

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I thought about getting a real tree this year, but also have a lot going on and decided it should be fun and not something that I felt burdened to do- maybe next year. I do some small decorating though, just enough to feel in the Christmas spirit.

Another tradition I have is doing a UD alumni volunteer event called "Christmas Off Campus" that always falls on the first Saturday in December. It's a nice way to get in the Christmas spirit while putting on a Christmas celebration for some kids that might not be so lucky on Christmas day.

Who cares if you are too tired this year. You will feel in the spirit when you start celebrating with friends and family.

Amanda said...

We haven't put up a tree since we always leave to go to Virginia for a week. I a Thymes candle in the Frasier Fir scent that is heavenly and makes me think we have a tree up. I highly recommend getting one.