Monday, October 3, 2011

Weekend

This weekend was pretty laid back.  Memphis had this wonderful (temporary) cold front blow through, so we were looking at highs of about 70 and lows in the mid-to-upper 40s.  As you can imagine, it felt freezing (since it had been 80 the day before), but it was absolutely awesome at the same time.  I've been waiting for October before I pull out the boots and tweed, and they were both in play a little bit this weekend.

Friday night, I picked us up some Fino's for dinner and we headed over to the Levitt Shell.  I can't remember the name of the band, but they were sort of alt-country/rock-ish.  We really liked the guy's voice, but we thought they should've stuck with more poppy, alt-country (which was great) and less rock.  But as always, it was fun to go, and it was great to be in the cold weather.  We went to YoLo afterwards and I got gelato: half pumpkin and half gingersnap and holy crap, it was so, so good!

When we got home, Hank dog (who hadn't pooped after his dinner) threw up right before bed.  I mention this because it shaped our Saturday...

So we woke up Saturday morning somewhat worried about our little guy.  We gave him breakfast and he almost threw up again.  We tried to get him to poop and he wouldn't.  Our main concern was that he ate a piece of plastic (or something) that was lodged in his intestine, which is apparently somewhat common for dogs who eat whatever they can get their paws on.  Hank will go out in the yard at night for hours and dig around and eat stuff.  Mostly the crap he eats is walnuts from the tree in the backyard and sticks, but if he were to find, say, a piece of plastic, we don't think he would hesitate to eat it.  On our Friday morning walk, when I was scooping his poop, I noticed a big-ish piece of something plastic that he'd digested.  So we were on alert.

By 11 there still wasn't a poop, so we decided to take him into the vet.  I think we normally would've waited a little bit, but the vet is only open until noon on Saturdays, and we knew if come Saturday night he still hadn't pooped, we'd end up spending a lot more money at the emergency vet.

Long story short, she assumed he just had some tummy troubles, not something stuck.  They pumped him up with fluids and advised us to feed him bland food for a couple days to settle it.  (And of course to go to the emergency vet if he didn't poop or threw up again.)  After his gourmet dinner of chicken and rice, everything was back to normal, so no troubles.

Aside from our trip to the vet, we watched some college football and did a major clean of our house (nesting, anyone?).  I'm so, so happy to have a spotless kitchen and bathroom, I can't even tell you!  Saturday night we tried a new restaurant, The Slider Inn, that I'll do a restaurant review of tomorrow.  We sat outside on the patio, and again, it was glorious to enjoy the cool weather (and wear boots!).

Sunday morning after church, I met a friend for brunch at Three Angel's Diner.  Jonathan, my mom, and I tried to go to Three Angel's Sunday brunch a couple months ago and it was closed when we got there, so I was really excited to try it yesterday.  But I have to say, even though the company was awesome, the food wasn't quite on par.  I got eggs scrambled with goat cheese, a biscuit, and some potatoes.  The eggs didn't even taste like goat cheese and the potatoes weren't anything special.  The biscuit was good, but a delicious biscuit can't redeem a whole breakfast experience, in my opinion.  There are some other awesome-sounding things on the menu, though, so I might give it another chance just because I've always been impressed with their lunch/dinner, but as of right now, not sure I'd recommend it.

The rest of the day was spent in the usual way: grocery store, laundry, getting stuff ready for my week's lunches, etc.  I also made vegetable curry for dinner, which is one of our faves, but is time consuming to make.  After dinner I started to watch the movie version of Eat, Pray, Love, but since it's two and a half hours (geez!), I only got about half-way through Pray.

Anyway, I hope you guys had good ones, too!

No comments: