Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Weekend Without Labor

Oh how I love three-day weekends!  (I mean, who doesn't?)  But really, coming off of this one, it almost feels like we had a little vacation, which is exactly what I hoped for.

Jonathan and I decided, somewhat last minute, to spend Labor Day weekend in St. Louis visiting my mom.  It was going to be an exciting weekend, as well, because it was Hank's first trip.

The three of us headed up on Friday and arrived just in time for a delicious home-cooked dinner.  Hank seemed a little timid at first about the new house, but soon enough he was running the place, so on that front, all was great.

Saturday was h-o-t outside (about 100) so we decided to go to the neighbor's pool to cool off and enjoy the end of summer.  Jonathan and I were curious about Hank and swimming (since he's super scared of new things, in general, but as swimming seems to be universally liked by most dogs, we didn't know).  While we were there, it was totally classic what happened in relation to the dog...  So, I was in the pool and Jonathan was standing about seven feet away from the pool with a hose filling up a kiddie pool for Hank.  Hank was standing between the kiddie pool and the big pool.  Jonathan thought it would be funny to spray him with the hose; but when he did, Hank ran away from it - only, he didn't realize where he was standing and ran straight into the big pool!  He dove in a with a huge dunk!  I was ready to go rescue him, but once he emerged from his dunk, he doggie paddled perfectly over to the side of the pool and jumped out.  He wasn't super jazzed about getting back in after that, but he was ok with the kiddie pool (and at least we now know he can swim!).

Saturday night, along with my sister, we all went to Farmhaus for dinner.  I'll do a Restaurant Review tomorrow, but as a preview, we really enjoyed it!

Sunday, the four of us had tickets to the Cards' 1pm game.  Our seats were in a box that served food and drink, so we got to the stadium early to enjoy that before the game.  Even though they lost, it was so fun to be there!  With the minor league team in Memphis, sometimes it's hard to remember what it's like to go to a major league game.  It's basically like the Redbirds, but on extreme supersize.  And the new stadium is so much nicer than the old one, it was great to walk around and explore a little bit.

By the time we got home, it was probably 6pm or so.  Jonathan and I enjoyed the fab weather and walked the dog a little bit through the neighborhood.  Then we all enjoyed some time on my mom's awesome screened-in porch.  I had been madly craving Ted Drewes, but really, I just wanted frozen custard, so we went over to Silky's (which is a custard place right down the street from the house).  It was as delish as I remembered.

We woke up Monday morning to 50 degree weather!  (Not that you guys can't do the math, but that's fifty degrees cooler than Saturday!  Dang!)  After some lovely exercise for us (in cool weather!), we hit the road pretty early.  It was perfect because we got back with enough time to get some stuff done around the house and chill out for a little bit.  And - Memphis had cooled down as well!  It was in the mid-70s and lovely!

Overall it was a great trip!  Good to see my mom and sister; good to know that Hank can travel well (he was perfect in the car both ways); good to consume about 100,000 calories in awesome food; good to walk on the lovely walking path around my mom's house; and great to have a day longer than the standard weekend trip!

Did you guys enjoy your day off from labor, as well?

1 comment:

b|rad said...

I'll pretend you went to visit your mom and had an amazing weekend in another city OTHER THAN the one I currently live in.