Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday Randoms

I'm feeling a bulleted list today.  Maybe it's lack of interesting, complex things to write about?

1) I love my digital kitchen scale.  I registered for it when we got married thinking, "I like to cook, I probably need a scale," but not really expecting to use it all that much.  But I was so wrong!  I whip this guy out a lot!  It's just so convenient when, say, something on a nutrition label is listed in ounces (cheese, for instance) and you want to know how much you're eating.  Or when cooking pasta, and the nutritional info is not only listed in ounces but is for the dry pasta - use the scale!  I also find that lots of baking recipes list amounts in both cups and grams.  And since precise grams are obviously the most exact way to measure, I use the scale!  I think it cost like $20 or $30 - I recommend a purchase if you don't have one.

2) One of my favorite days of the year is coming up this weekend: POTLUCK SUNDAY at church!!

3) Did anyone else watch the season opener of Glee on Tuesday?  I was pretty disappointed.

4) I really need to put my reading glasses on and get to town on our book club selection for next Wednesday, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I'm on about 200 (of 500 pages) and have a somewhat busy weekend coming up.  But the book is so good so far - and reads quick - so hopefully it won't be a problem.

5) I haven't spent a ton of time on the new Facebook page, so I don't yet have an opinion on if I like it or not. BUT, I mostly use "the book" on my iPhone, and I have to say, I think it is now most definitely more awesome than it was before!  What I have been wanting all along has finally happened: for the "Recent Updates" to show me everyone's updates, not just the people that the algorithm determines I care about.  (To me, it seemed like before it was a nasty cycle.  The algorithm chose which updates to show me.  Since it didn't show me any other people's, I would click around on the updates I was given, thus making the thing think I wanted to see more of those people's posts!  I got to a point where I would meticulously avoid clicking on certain people's pages because I didn't want fbook to think those were the updates I wanted to see.  Phew.  I'm tired just typing all that!  Glad it changed!)

6) I bought some plain Cheerios from the store the other day because I had a craving, and man, they are just as good as I thought they'd be!

7) I've also, in the past couple of weeks, resurrected a sandwich from my childhood that's still as freaking awesome today as it was when I was 6: the ketchup/cheese sandwich.  Ingredients: bread, ketchup, sliced cheddar.

8) I'm finally starting to feel healthy-ish again.  My nostrils mercifully agreed to stay open the past two nights so I was actually able to sleep.

9) I was hoping to buy some CoffeeMate Pumpkin Spice creamer to keep at the house, to save both our wallets and our waistlines when the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte cravings start to hit hard (although my waistline is probably a lost cause this Fall).  BUT - it isn't out in Memphis stores yet!  What gives?  Shouldn't it come out when Sbucks debuts theirs?

10) At work this week, I've been adding "Crystal Light Pure" in mixed berry flavor to my water.  (When I'm sick I don't love to drink plain water.)  It's delicious!  Slight disclosure: I drink it extremely diluted; you're supposed to add the packet to 16 ounces of water and I add it to my 40 oz jug.  But at that diluted level, I love it!  It adds just a hint of sweet and tartness to otherwise plain water.

I think that's all I've got right now.  Happy Thursday - it's almost the weekend!

No comments: