Friday, September 30, 2011

Fetal Friday: 18 weeks

One of the funny things about a first pregnancy is how much stuff has been written about the topic that you just devour.  I say first pregnancy because I imagine if you have more than one child, you: a) don't have time to read a ton of books on pregnancy; b) if you are reading, you might instead be reading books about the actual raising of a child; and/or c) you assume that since you've already been through one, you know the ropes.

But since I don't know the ropes, consider me in the school of people devouring pregnancy books, websites, and blogs - and I love it!  I mention all this because I'm reading one of the most fascinating books I've encountered thus far: Origins - How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of our Lives.  I highly recommend to anyone who is trying to get pregnant, already is, or just likes a nice pop science read with some personal memoir-type stuff thrown in.  I'll do a full review when I finish.

But yes, back to me.  18 weeks - insane!  And the best news of the week was that the blood work we did for Downs Syndrome came back perfectly normal and is about 90% accurate in determining that we don't have it.  Awesome!  One less thing for this neurotic mama to worry about.

How Big is Baby?
The size of a bell pepper, apparently.  And perhaps more interesting, my uterus is now the size of a melon.  A melon is big!

New Symptoms
(I say "new," because none of the ones from last week have changed [nor do I think they will.])
-rash-type "acne."  I call it "acne" for lack of a better word.  It looks more like a rash, almost - like, tiny little red bumps on my forehead and by the hairline around my eyes.  Also, the same thing on my back (with a couple actual pimples back there).  Good thing it's too chilly to wear all my backless shirts and dresses!
-And while this isn't really something that I think will stick around, I had the second moment of my entire pregnancy when I thought I would puke.  It was at a Junior League meeting and didn't have time to eat beforehand (so I was going on multiple hours without food).  We were standing up for a long time shooting this video clip thing when all of a sudden, I knew if I didn't sit down, I'd throw up or pass out.  I felt mildly better after sitting (although I was anxiously watching the clock the entire meeting) and raced home to have some dinner.  Note to self: you have to eat!

Weight Gain
According to my scale at home, I've gained 6-7 pounds, depending on the day.  Per reading my new book, I'm hoping to make really good food choices moving forward.  It's not that my food choices have been bad thus far, but there are certain times when I just don't need to eat the thing I'm eating.  Like, after work, I don't need to eat baked chips.  I could eat them with my lunch, for example, but generally speaking I want to go for nutritionally-dense foods most of the time.

Belly?
My friend Emily asked me at book club "when do you think you'll pop?"  So, I guess you could say the belly is the same as last week; that is, when I'm wearing clothes, you can't really tell.  You can definitely see a bump when looking at my bare belly, though.

Maternity Clothes
I put on my normal jeans last Friday night and was like, "holy crap."  I thought the low-rise of them would be fine, but they wouldn't button!  So Saturday I headed out to Gap Maternity and bought a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  One thing that's kind of sucking with the maternity shirts is how big my chest has grown.  So they say you should buy your pre-pregnancy size in maternity stuff.  Mine is a medium.  But a lot of times, the medium pulls and gathers at the chest, so I have to size up to a large.  I feel like I'm just swimming in the large everywhere other than the chest.  Hopefully once this belly sticks out a little more, it will all look better.

Food Aversions / Cravings
Not really...

Baby Moving?
No!  I'm dying to feel him/her!

What I'm Looking Forward To?
Same as last week.

Preparations and Decisions Being Made
Um...  We're still a little behind on this.  We did get life insurance this week, though!  It's been about a month-long process (interviews with the insurance guy and a basic physical done by a nurse), but I think we're officially signed up now.  And on that note - who knew how freaking expensive it is?!  I sure didn't!

General Mentality
I'm feeling slightly more emotional than normal - ie, more prone to cry or become upset/have my feelings hurt even if I know the thing causing it is silly.  Stupid hormones.  And I'm still anxious about birth defects, but getting the good news about Downs and knowing the ultrasound is in two weeks is calming me a little.  I would say overall, through the whole pregnancy, I've generally felt a lot less anxiety than I normally do.  Not that I'm not anxious about all the pregnancy-related stuff, but the anxiety-ish attacks that use to plague me every now and then haven't reared their ugly head at all in pregnancy.

And here's the belly:
Happy weekend!

1 comment:

katie said...

oooh! i see a little belly there! SO cute!!