Wednesday, September 21, 2011

13 Weeks

This is the last of the pregnancy-related posts I wrote before sharing with the blog (awesome job documenting everything, Jackie!).  I wanted to get it posted so I can start my weekly updates that are actually up-to-date on Friday.  I'll add a few new categories on Friday, as well, because the baby is getting big enough to have some of his/her own stuff going on.

Also, can we just stop for a second and say where did September go?  I can't believe I wrote this 13-week post a whole month ago.

___________________________________________________


Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This past weekend, I became 13 weeks pregnant.  13 feels like a lot of weeks, but maybe it's just because it's a number I've been waiting for.  I'm slightly confused if 13 signals the start of the 2nd trimester or if it's the last week of the first, but either way, it feels like I'm out of the danger zone for miscarriage, which feels great.

Generally, the past two weeks have felt incredible.  I've regained loads of energy.  Actually, I almost feel like I have the energy of a "normal" person.  I can stay up every night until 10; I don't need an afternoon nap; I can come home and exercise after work without feeling awful; basically, it's been a great change from earlier weeks.  And many of my food aversions are clearing up.  I actually had a banana a couple days ago!  I had been convinced I wouldn't eat another banana until after baby arrives (because they grossed me out so much).  So yeah, things are looking good.

Symptoms
-the occasional twinge of nausea or hypoglycemia if I go too long without eating (I'm thinking this might happen the whole 40 weeks).
-intense increased smell - I sort of thought I would miss out on this symptom of pregnancy since I'm eating dairy again (thus have a constant stuffy nose), but it has come on in the past week or so, and it's bizarre!  I almost feel like an animal because I can smell everything.  People, places, food, nature smells - everything.  It was pretty pronounced when we were at a play last weekend (sitting in the front row) and I could smell the different actors as they came on stage.  Bizarre, right??
-some unfortunate gastro problems - we'll leave it there.
-constant need to tinkle.
-vivid dreams, especially nightmares, which has been a little weird.

Weight Gain
Still holding steady at 3 pounds.  Although I find myself receiving conflicting information about when to gain weight...  "They" say a woman should gain 25-35 pounds in her whole pregnancy.  25 basically accounts for everything happening to your body (the weight of the baby, the placenta, the extra blood, etc.), and I'm sure they say 25-35 because gaining 10 more than required is probably a-ok.  But when all this happens is up for debate.  My doctor says in the 1st & 2nd trimesters, one should gain 5-7 pounds, and then starting at 20 weeks should gain a pound a week.  Some places will tell you to gain nothing in the 1st trimester, and then gain about a pound a week in the 2nd and 3rd.  Some places will tell you to gain 0-5 in the 1st, a pound to a pound and a half per week in the 2nd, and a half pound per week in the 3rd.  Who knows??

Growing Belly?
I think my belly looks slightly bigger right now.  But in no way does it look like it's related to a baby.  It looks like I had a two-week bender of junk food and multiple beers every night.  HOT!  And I still seem to have "growing thighs" as well, so that's really hot, too.  I'm definitely not going to be one of those people who is "all baby" when they gain pregnancy weight.  But I'm ok with it.  I think being tall will probably be on my side when it comes to how I look pregnant.

Food Aversions/Cravings
These have chilled out a bit both ways.
I'm enjoying more than normal: m&ms, Fresca, milk, whipped cream, and chips.
And I'm opposed to: pizza, spinach, homemade salad dressing, and coffee (decaf, of course).

General Mentality
Like I said earlier, I'm feeling good about my risk of miscarriage at this point.  But I'm still terrified about birth defects or diseases/syndromes the baby might have.  I'm praying so much for a healthy baby!  (Please join me if you feel inclined!)  At our 20 weeks ultrasound they'll be able to see a ton of stuff (if the brain is developing as it should; if the heart has 4 chambers and pumps in & out the correct way; if the spine is ok; if we have 2 arms, 2 legs, 10 fingers, and 10 toes; if the organs are developing as they should; etc.).  I think it's normal for women to be worried about this.  And as my doctor says, you never stop worrying about your kids, it's just different worries for different ages.

1 comment:

Tippy said...

don't worry about birth defects. :) Remember - I have a heart that doesn't filter the blood properly and my 2 middle toes (on both feet) are webbed! Oh yes - I've just written that on the internet.