Monday, September 12, 2011

10 Years


It's been a decade.  A whole decade since that Tuesday in 2001 we'll never forget.  Think of all the other Tuesdays that have come and gone in the past 10 years about which we remember absolutely nothing.  Zero.  But then there's Tuesday, September 11, 2001 and everyone can say exactly where they were and what the weather was like and how they felt and who they called when the Towers fell.

I was at Rhodes, on my way to a morning class and noticed things felt weird on campus.  People seemed more frantic than normal.  My professor told the class what was going on and we all headed to the Lynx Lair to watch news coverage on tv.  I also distinctly remember being unsure whether to attend my other classes.  I went ahead to Botany (just in case, but expecting to be dismissed) only to be met with a professor who said, "lucky for us everything happening in the World is going on above ground, but we're studying roots, which are underground, so we'll go ahead with class."  We had an hour and a half class, as normal, while things "above ground" were nothing close.

I hope that professor looks back and feels remorse for holding his classes that day.  I hope he looks back and thinks, "man, I didn't even consider that some of my students might have been directly linked to a person in New York; or that they were terrified and just wanted to be in their rooms talking to their parents on the phone and watching the news coverage."  But maybe he doesn't think that, because it's been a whole ten years and a lot can happen in a decade.

For example, I: graduated college, got a "real job," met my husband, got married, got a dog, and then mostly recently, got pregnant.  But my decade has been full of so much more.  I: met some of my best friends, went to Spain, gained 30 pounds (and then lost 50), drank a lot, ate a lot of delicious food, ran a lot of miles, changed my hair cut/color, saw a lot of movies, went to concerts, pulled "all-nighters," wrote a lot, read a ton of books, and watched a lot of tv.  Thankfully I laughed a lot.  But I also cried.  10 years ago, my step dad, my grandfather, my great aunt, my great uncle, Jonathan's grandmother, LB's dad, Bencat, Bobby Maessen, and many many others were still alive.

What will our lives look like 10 years from now?  I pray September 11, 2001 will still hold the same impact it does today.  I hope it's the only national disaster we all have to share our "where were you" stories.

Our church said a prayer yesterday that included this.

You are a God who remembers us.  In your Holy Spirit of the risen Lord Jesus Christ, whom you did not forget in the grave, remember, now, O Lord, the innocents who died ten years ago:


     Americans as well as 236 citizens from more than 90 countries.
     2,977 victims and 19 hijackers.
     246 people on the four planes:
          40 aboard United Flight 93 that went down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania;
          87 aboard American Flight 11, which was the first to hit the World Trade Center;
          60 aboard United Flight 175, which was the 2nd plane to hit the World Trade Center;
          59 aboard American Flight 77 that hit the Pentagon.
     2,606 in New York City in the Twin Towers and on the ground.
     125 at the Pentagon, 55 of which were military personnel.
     411 emergency workers who responded to the scene, including 342 firefighters, 10 paramedics, 23 New York City police officers and 37 Port Authority officers.
     3,052 children who lost a parent.

Let us all continue to remember.

Note: I snapped the picture on my iPhone of our bulletin from church.  A woman in our congregation is an artist and she does these carvings (that are then stamped and printed) for our weekly bulletins.

No comments: