Tuesday, August 2, 2011

(im)Perfection

Last week was suuuuuper busy for me at work, which was why I didn't really blog much.  But in my lack of blogging, I didn't have a chance to tell you about book club Wednesday night, which was so much fun!  So we'll just discuss it now instead!

For this past meeting, we read The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman.

I absolutely loved this book (as did all the ladies in my group)!  It's essentially a collection of short stories, and each story has a different main character.  But the fun thing about it is that each main character works at the same international newspaper based in Rome, so while there isn't a ton of overlap with what's going on in each person's life, other characters are mentioned in the different stories, and there's the constant backdrop of the newspaper to mesh everything together.

Another sort of brilliant part of the whole thing is that each story is just a little snippet of the person's life.  None of the stories really start or end in any epic way, they just kind of fade in and fade out.  It's written beautifully (Rachman has incredible talent - especially given this is his first book), and reads easily and quick.  Given the short-story nature, it was great to read because you didn't necessarily need to read the stories in a speedy way - you could read one vignette, wait a couple days, read another (although I didn't really do that because I enjoyed sitting down with the book).

The setting in Rome also added a lovely, quaint touch to the whole thing.  It's such an exotic city, and yet working for an English, international newspaper totally contrasted with the romanticism you would've expected from Italy.  The combination was great, though.  Really, I don't have many bad things to say about the book.  I highly recommend!

(And for Memphians reading this, our book club host got all the food she served from "Uptown Grocer."  Apparently it's a woman who makes these take-&-bake dishes that she sells at different [sort of random] locations across the city including the dtown farmer's market and Palladio Cafe [and I'm sure a bunch of other places - but these are the only ones I know.]  Anyway - the food was great!  We had a lovely crawfish/cheese dip to start and then enchilada/burrito things for dinner - they came in a casserole dish and all she had to do was pop them in the oven.  I'm very interested in looking at some of her other available dishes.)

Read The Imperfectionists - you won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nice! Added to my "to-read" list on Goodreads. I love short stories that are somewhat interwoven. Thanks for the recommendation.