Friday, August 26, 2011

Biden Love

I had a dream with Joe Biden in it last night.  (No clue.)  I don't even really remember what it was about, but I woke up thinking about Joe Biden.  (Who does that?)  And it made me think back to inauguration day, January 20, 2009.

Crammed into my office, two of my co-workers and I hovered around my tiny tv to watch the historic day.  All of our co-workers were in the breakroom watching on the big tv, but the three of us wanted to watch separately from all the money hungry Democrat hating "fiscally Republican" people in our office.

While the whole ceremony was lovely and historic and enormous for our country, one of the lasting impressions I have from the whole thing has nothing to do with the new President or the new era of leadership being ushered in. 

It has to do with Joe Biden. 

Does anyone know what I'm talking about before I say it??  Does anyone else remember??

If not - my memory is of this: Joe Biden and the kissing.  That is, after he was sworn in as VP, he happily kissed all his family members...on the mouth...including his adult-aged sons.  On the mouth.  That is, he kissed his sons on the mouth.

Maybe I just don't come from a family of kissers?  And maybe Jonathan doesn't either, and we are the minority?  But I have to say, watching him kiss his sons on the mouth seemed really, really weird to me.  Not gross weird, I mean, whatever, that's just their way of showing love, apparently.  But I just started to think about, say, Jonathan and his dad kissing (on the mouth) if they were really happy about something or when saying hello and goodbye, and the thought almost can't even come into my mind because it would be so awkward and weird.

Please tell me someone else remembers this from that day!

On that note - I hope everyone has fun and relaxing weekends!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

I wouldn't say that your family is totally bereft of mouth kissers...(cough)(cough).

Jackie said...

At least it's not my DAD trying to kiss you!

Claire said...

Ha, I do remember that. But I think it was sweet. In my family, we kiss. Sometimes I kiss my grandparents on the mouth - sounds weird writing it, but it's completely normal. May have something to do with our being Italian.