Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HP Geek Out

I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about the new Harry Potter movie coming out.  Actually, I'm in the process of re-reading the last book as a little refresher.  Jonathan read the 2nd half of the last book, as well (I guess it makes him half as geeked out as me?).  And we definitely watched some of the HP marathon on ABC Family this past weekend.

The only thing I'm sad about (also, confused) is that I can't re-watch the first half of the final installment.  I mean, obviously there are some great marketing people doing all the HP stuff, so I probably don't know....but doesn't it seem like the launch of the final movie would be a good time to release the first one on DVD?  I mean, we don't usually buy DVDs, but I'm pretty sure we would've bought that one just so we could see it before the finale.  Maybe it's a ploy to make even more money from the franchise by releasing both of them when HP is starting to fade from the brain?  Which, ok, fine, makes sense - but come on!  I want to see the first half before I go to the theatre to see the last one!

I can't help wondering, as well, how long Harry Potter will be part of our pop-kid's culture.  Due to the whole magical wizard/not-real-world aspect, they feel a little more timeless, I think.  But do you think in 20, 30, 40 years kids will still be reading the books and watching the movies?  I guess I read Nancy Drew books when I was a kid, which had been written 30+ years before my time.  But Nancy didn't also have a huge movie deal that went along with it.  It seems like if anything, the movies will date the franchise, just because movies are so noticeably old as the technology changes so fast.

Anyway - can't wait for next weekend!  Any other fans out there?  Are you excited, too?

2 comments:

veena. said...

J- Check at Target, because my brother bought the first half of Deathly Hallows as a return-to-the-US-present. We watched it last week to catch him up on what's happening in the HP movie world. You are also welcome to borrow my copy.

p.s You free for dinner in the next few weeks - it's been ages since I saw you!

AmyBethJames said...

Yeah, it is on DVD... we own it! :) I too am SUPER excited. Papa Ben is going to watch Hudson so I can go to the midnight premiere with friends. Yay!