Thursday, June 16, 2011

A List

Ugh.  I know I've been so bad at blogging lately.  I think it's a combination of insane craziness at work - ie, no time to write a post, and then night times spent with the Hank dog.  And also, nothing's really going on.  So I guess there's that.

I hate to do this - but I think a bulleted list might be all I have in me right now...

1) Ok, so we keep Hank in his crate for the day while we're at work (& I go home at lunch to let him out).  We realize it probably sucks for him a little, so we take him for a 30-40 minute walk every morning, and then take him for one at night.  We also have some solid playtime after work.  Well, probably around 8 every night, this dog EXPLODES with energy!  Like, goes crazy.  We'll take him out to the yard to throw the ball, and he'll sprint to go get it, sprint a few circles around the yard, and then return the ball to us to do again.  And he has this energy for probably 2 hours.  Is this normal for dogs?  Or for puppies?  Do we need to be exercising him more?  The problem is the heat.  So, he does fine during the morning walks when it's still sort of cool, but if we try to take him for a long walk at 5:30 (when it's still in the 100s), he starts to get really tired and thirsty maybe 20 minutes in.  Any dog whisperer readers?

2) Has anyone seen the movie Bridesmaids?  We went to see it this past weekend.  I definitely thought it was funny, but here's my question, did anyone else think it was intensely emotional?  Like, I was on the verge of tears for probably 40 minutes at the end.  I don't know if it was a hormonal thing with me, or if others had the same reaction (my mom, and obv Jonathan, did not).

3) I can't wait to see Super 8, which I think we'll see this weekend.  And I also can't wait to see the new Woody Allen movie, which my mother in law said all the people clapped in her theatre at the end, and my mom said she "would be disappointed" in us if we didn't go see it.

4) This past weekend, we were all set to go to the Levitt Shell on Saturday night - we had our dinner ready and our picnic basket pulled out - and then some stupid severe storms rolled in circa 7pm (the concert  started at 7:30).  How annoying is it when all week, every single day is sunny and really hot, but then when nighttime of a weekend comes, when you could potentially handle the heat outside, a dumb storm ruins the possibility.

5) I bought some goat milk cheese at the farmer's market last weekend because I read about how milk from goats and cows are two totally different substances, and actually, goat's milk is pretty similar to human breast milk (in anatomical structure, not taste...sick), so our bodies are actually better equipped to digest it.  Thus, people with allergies or intolerances to cow's milk are unaffected by the goat.  The main takeaway from this is that it's pretty awesome to get some cheese back into my daily life.

6) I had a somewhat brilliant idea when I was home letting Hank out yesterday at lunch.  Basically, the plan I've been using since we got him has been to go home at lunch, let him out, play for a bit, then come back to the office and eat my lunch while I'm sitting at my desk working or not working.  I end up with a little down time at home, though.  Well - what if I made my lunch for the next day while I'm home??  It takes me probably 15 minutes to make my lunch (I know, I know, but I like everything to be perfect and stuff like breaking the lettuce into smaller pieces, making oatmeal, breaking up nuts to put in my oatmeal, and/or making salad dressing takes time).  But that 15 minutes every night sort of sucks.  It's like I'm constantly doing something until 9pm every night (walking Hank, exercising, getting dinner ready, showering, eating dinner, getting it cleaned up, making my lunch for the next day).  If I could reclaim 15 minutes, I would love it!

And that's about all I've got.  I'm going to try to find more time to blog.  For sure.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been missing your blog. I have another idea for your down lunch time, feel free to call me, I love talking during the day!

Tippy said...

Regarding little Hanky - You probably do need to give him more challenges. So not necessarily walking. What is his breed of dog "known for"? Like are they hunters, vermin dogs, etc. For example our dog she is a vermin dog, so she likes little doggie puzzles, things she can sniff around, hide and seek, etc. But she still freaks out and goes crazy with energy at random times. Generally in the evening when we get home and she's been bored all day. And she's 5.

While walking him, just take him a water bottle. :) Or maybe take him for the long walk later in the evening?