Monday, May 2, 2011

A Wedding, A Funeral, and a Win!

A lot has happened here in the past few days...

First, of course, there was a wedding!

I have to say, I loved all the coverage of the royal wedding.  Loved.  I woke up around 6 and started watching the coverage from the beginning (oh how I love thee, DVR).  I went to work a little late so I could see the whole ceremony.  I think everything about it was classy and beautiful.  I loved her dress - she looked gorgeous.  I loved the whole ceremony - I thought it seemed sacred and nicely worshipful and personal.  The little hints towards Princess Diana were lovely as well.  And of course, the double kiss on the balcony warmed my heart as I'm sure it did millions of other people.

I was so surprised by the crowds!  They were massive!  I thought it was cool to see all the people march from the Abbey to Buckingham Palace; and then there was the enormous group of people watching on big screens and toasting the couple in Hyde Park (I think it's called Hyde Park).  Overall, I thought NBC's news coverage was great.  I enjoyed all the Today Show people in the morning, Oprah in the afternoon, and Dateline at night.  All in all, exactly what I was hoping for in a royal wedding!

Following a wedding, on the opposite end of pivotal life events, was the funeral of Osama bin Laden.

(I guess we didn't really have anything to do with his "funeral" - but come on, "a wedding and a funeral" is much more catchy than "a wedding and a murder.")

So, I'm definitely in the minority when I say I'm not as jazzed about this as everyone else seems to be.  In fact, I'm a little sickened by the people dancing in the streets celebrating his murder.  Because it's just that - a murder - no matter who he is.  Do we all remember when the Twin Towers went down and we saw footage of people in Al Qaeda celebrating?  Remember how disgusted we were by that?  Um....

But yes - I think it's symbolic for the American people.  That is, we are a strong nation - so much so that we've taken down Public Enemy #1.  And I'm glad that it's proved to be unifying (even if I feel personally opposed to celebrating a murder, no matter who it is).  But I guess my main lackluster attitude towards the whole thing is this: nothing is going to change now.  We're still going to be fighting "the war on terror" (although I think American opinions about the war might become slightly more optimistic).  I would imagine that pretty soon there will be another name who we all consider Public Enemy #1.  And if anything, I think we need to be freaked out about the potential of another large-scale attack against our country.

Let's eradicate our dependence on foreign oil.  All of it.  Then, let's take to the streets in celebration.

Phew.

Ok - so one more (much less depressing) thing in the past few days of monumental events - a win!  Actually, two wins!

Go Grizz!  Friday night at the Fed Ex Forum was in-cred-i-ble!  It was so much fun to be with the other thousands of people celebrating our home team.  The atmosphere was out the roof!  Everyone was on their feet and waving their "Believe Memphis" towels that were handed at the door.  We had really good seats and enjoyed making "game friends" all around us to cheer with and slap high fives.  And we won!  Beale Street afterwards was insane!  We spent a little time in Silkys but then decided to head down Main Street to Local and Bar None.  On the street on the way to Bar None, we ran in Haddadi.  Jonathan got a picture with him (it's his new profile pic on facebook if you want to check it out).  And then at Bar None, we saw Shane Battier.  What fun!  It made us appreciate our small, but cool city even more.

And then.  And then!  We won the first game against the Thunder on Sunday!  It was an awesome way to start this next round!

I have to say - I believe, Memphis!!

I hope you guys enjoyed the past few days, as well.  Go Grizz!

1 comment:

Claire said...

The Knicks sucked it in games 3 and 4 against the Celtics. Glad to see them put out of their misery. Have high hopes for next season. Haven't paid too much attention to the West, but I will now!