Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweet, Delicious Potluck

There are two Sundays a year when I am 150%, head-over-heels excited to go to church.  Two words.  Potluck Sunday.  It's a great time of fun fellowship after the service - but most importantly - it's a great time to prepare yourself for a little couch time with your pant button unbuttoned later.

On these Sundays, I desperately try to get over my fear of germs (which was especially hard yesterday as it seemed like someone was coughing during the entire church service), and absolutely stuff my face with the delicious delicacies members of the church bring to share with everyone.

I don't know what it is about our church members, but people bring good stuff.  There are no gross, soggy casseroles in sight.  And also, people are not stingy.  There is table after table of delicious treats for everyone to enjoy.  I think I might have eaten 4 different types of dessert yesterday.  And I might have eaten three different types of cheese dip. There was an awesome salad made with an unknown-to-me grain, olives, cherry tomatoes, feta, and a balsamic dressing.  It was fantastic!  And there was fruit with a yummy sweet yogurt-type sauce.  There was a corn pudding. And an awesome pasta salad...

I think I had the caloric equivalent of two meals - but I feel good about that.

Can't wait for the next potluck Sunday (in 6 months)...

6 comments:

Tippy said...

Was the grain pearl barley? I love salads with pearl barley. yummy

My grandmother was a member of an Assembly of God church. Those people had potluck Sundays ALL.THE.TIME. Sadly they were primarily the casseroles you mentioned :(

LB said...

Ooh that sounds delicious!!! On Friday we had a party and I put out a lot of food, and then proceeded to eat basically all of it. So it's LIKE I went to a potluck...

Claire said...

Mm, fun. Might it have been farro? I sure do love farro - it's pretty pricey (for some unknown reason), but so hearty, versatile and yum. Can toss it with any combination of vegetables, fresh herbs, dried fruit, nuts even, and some sort of olive oil/acid combo. Try it!: http://www2.food52.com/recipes/5092_summer_farro_salad; http://www2.food52.com/recipes/5710_farro_salad_with_roasted_mushrooms_and_parmesan.

Jackie said...

Tipper/Claire - are you guys still around reading these comments??

I'm completely fascinated by which grain I might have had (because I want to make it myself).

I google image searched both pearl barley AND farro...and unfortunately, they both look identical, basically.

The grain I had was soft to bite into, but then pretty crewy, as well. It's hard to think of a texture comparison...maybe close to a gnocchi (if the gnocchi were in tiny little pieces)?

Have either of you had both farro AND pearl barley & could identify a difference between the two? And have you ever cooked with either before?

Tippy said...

I cook pearl barley alot. It takes about 1.5 hours to cook, and it is kind of the texture you describe. Just give it a whirl. My favorite way to eat it is with chopped up celery, cucumber, tomatoes, and a can of kidney beans. Then you make a honey mustard vinaigrette. It's divine. I'll try to find the recipe to send to you.

Claire said...

I'm here! I have cooked barley before, and it took a while. Farro doesn't take as long. You're right that they do look very similar, and you can, in fact, substitute one for the other.