Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break

Remember that?  Remember having a week to vacation/relax that is both acceptable and excused from obligation - days when "vacation day" didn't mean anything?

We took a trip every year at Spring Break when I was a kid.  One of the good aspects of divorced parents was double the vacations.  So usually I'd do our Christmas trip with my mom, then a Spring Break with my dad, then summer vacations with both.  (One year in high school, I went to Disney World 3 times: once with my dad, once with my mom, and once with our choir.)

Our pretty standard Spring Break trip, though, was Arizona to visit my grandparents.  It might seem lame, but it was actually pretty fun.  My grandmother was definitely one of those hands-on grandparents, so we would just run around all week doing stuff: playing shuffle board, putt putt, bowling, golf (I'd drive the cart),  going to the pool, laying out on their patio, playing games (and ouija board!), etc.  My grandparents lived in a retirement community called "Sun City."  So on our Spring Break trips, we'd spend most of the week there, but then would usually do a weekend trip to another place in Arizona: Sedona, Lake Havasu, Tucson.  We even went - this is funny now - to Tijuana one time (because it's within driving distance).

Back in the day, Spring Breaks used to be a lot later than they are now.  So often either my birthday or Easter (or both) would happen while we were there, too.  And as you can imagine, my grandmother would go all out.  One time a clown came to the house with balloons.  When we were there for Easter, she would arrange an Easter egg hunt.

So it's sort of funny that we're going to Arizona this year to visit with my dad's side of the family - and we'll be there over my birthday.  I imagine it will be a little different, but still nice, in it's own way.

(Also, about Spring Break, even though I'm in the workforce now, I still enjoy the week of Memphis schools' breaks because our office is slow and laid back while many people our boss are on vacation.  I imagine there will be a lot of basketball on Thursday and Friday.)

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm hoping for both shuffle and Ouija board in Arizona! I'm also hoping that I can get Jackie to run to the tree and back several times to see if she is getting faster.

Sarah said...

Haha. I love Jonathan's comments. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off this week because I'm on spring break from school and wanted to watch March Madness without feeling like I'm going to get in trouble. :)