Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Taking My Luncheon

Was anyone else a Nancy Drew reader when they were younger?  Anyone?  I, personally, devoured those books when I was a kid.  Like, sit-down-and-read-an-entire-novel-in-an-afternoon devoured.  Like, we had to go to the bookstore or library every few days in the summer so I could get more.  I loved them.

This is actually completely off-topic of what I was going to write about, except to say that in my life now, I usually refer to "eating my lunch" as "taking my luncheon."  And it's all because of Nancy.  I always thought it was this adorably charming thing when Nancy, Bess, and George would call it "luncheon" not "lunch."  (The books were written in the 50s I think, so I wonder if "luncheon" was a more common term back then..?  Although I've never heard grandmothers call it that now, so who knows?)

But anyway, speaking of lunch - Jonathan and I were chatting last night about what we'd have for lunch today and he made a comment like, "I would go absolutely insane if I ate the same thing for lunch everyday like you do."  And I thought about it for a second.  And it dawned on me, "I do eat the same thing for lunch everyday.  Hmm."

I always pack spinach & mixed greens, toppings for the salad, homemade salad dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices, mustard, and honey), and an apple.  Everyday.  And not just everyday now.  I've probably been packing this lunch consistently for at least two years.

The weird thing, though, is that I don't really tire of it.  I love salads.  Actually, I think I love salads more than the average person.  I think they are the perfect lunch food.  And they're also the perfect blank canvas for whatever I might be craving.  My toppings vary - but it's usually one or two of the following: beans, tuna, salmon, craisins, blue cheese, sunflower seeds, avocado, and fruit.

And then the apple is the perfect sidekick.  It fills me up, wards off high cholesterol, and takes some time to eat (which I think is key to not overeating).  Some days I'll bring a little peanut butter or almond butter and dip the apple.

But I have that everyday.  And don't get bored.  And now that I think about it, that's a little weird...

Do you guys pack or buy?  If you pack, do you have a go-to menu - or do you change it up each week?

(I also eat out every couple weeks with friends - so I'm not totally neurotic must-stay-in-and-have-salad or anything.  But I also definitely don't eat out enough to consider that a reasonable balance to how often I eat in [and eat identical meals.])

2 comments:

LB said...

Oh my gosh, every day! Dude that's a lot. Also is that all you eat all day while you're at work?! I think you have oatmeal or something in the morning too...any afternoon snack?

Sarah said...

I loved Nancy Drew in the exact same way as a child and spent many summer days devouring those books. As for your lunch, it does sound boring, but I'm not that shocked because a lot of my coworkers eat the same thing for lunch every day. Exhibit A eats a different Lean Cuisine everyday, Exhibit B eats a can of condensed chicken noodle soup every day, etc. I tend to eat a lot of leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day, but have recently been migrating away from that because I think it makes my lunch portions too large. Working in the loop in St. Louis makes it hard not to go out to lunch when it's nice out, but I try for only once a week.