Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring Awakening?

I have no idea what's going on - but this is what our weather forecast looks like for the next few days.

Today: High of 67, Low of 57
Tomorrow: High of 67, Low of 61
Friday: High of 66, Low of 50

And then it keeps going on and on for all the forecastable days - highs in the 60s, lows in the 50s-60s.  What's going on? 

El Nino, maybe??

I have this to say, though: I'll take it.  Even though I complain all the time about seasonably inappropriate weather in Memphis - I don't think that discontent is applicable in Winter (especially when we're talking about 60s in February).

The warmth started on Sunday.  I spent about two hours walking around outside (utilizing the awesome "merge call" feature on the iPhone for a three-way with Katie & LB).  And it was simply glorious out there - a slight chill to the air, but perfectly warm enough for shorts.  It's unfortunate we're still in Daylight Savings Time, or I'd like to hit the afternoon trail and do a walk/jog outside.

I have no doubt, though, that temperatures will drop back down before we see the "real" Spring, especially since Memphis is notorious for March snow.  In fact, Memphis weather has been known to mess up farmer's crops because we'll have an "early Spring" and then get a snow before the true Spring.  And the cherry tree in the front yard of my old house, on more than a couple occasions, had it's beautiful blossoms destroyed by a late snow (although - during the 12 hours or so, nothing was more beautiful than the cherry blossoms dusted with snow).

Certainly the whole country is having warm weather (since the weather man doesn't predict that anything is coming our way to cool things down)?  Are you guys as warm as we are?

1 comment:

LB said...

That's great! We're getting up near 50 and I don't even know what to do with myself. I'm considering even retracting back to my lighter coats - crazy! (Of course next week back to highs in the 30s).