Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Those cupcakes will be consumed approximately 3 minutes after we have our "special" Valentine's dinner tonight.  The menu is special because we're having spicy peanut noodles, and we don't really eat pasta normally.  (Oh man!  We're so crazy and spontaneous!)

But anyway - Valentines is sort of a silly day - but still somewhat fun.  I know Jonathan got me a little present because yesterday when I put our groceries in the trunk, I saw a wrapped package...and then promptly received a text that said, "PUT THE GROCERIES IN THE BACK SEAT!"  So that's fun.

On a sad note, I didn't consume ANY of those conversation heart candies, which I love.  I might need to run to Walgreens tomorrow and hit the "after-season" sale of leftovers.

Those of you with significant others, are you doing anything tonight (or did you do something this weekend) in honor of Valentine's Day?  Or do you think it's lame and not worthy of holiday status?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I tend to think it's a silly holiday, and have class tonight, but we did have a really fun weekend to celebrate. Friday night we went out for a casual dinner and Saturday we went ice skating at Steinberg, and then took a stroll around the zoo. It was nice to do something special during the day on a weekend for a change. Also, we had a girls dinner last night and someone brought strawberries to dip in Nutella. It was delicious.

Tippy said...

Because I work until late everyday, I went to marks and spencer and bought the "gourmet meal for 2" ha. they did a valentine's special where you get a starter (thai fish cakes), main (chicken wrapped in parma ham and stuff with gruyere), side (potatoes), dessert (chocolate melting pudding), box of chocolate, and wine for 20 quid (pounds). Quite a good deal considering the wine I chose is normally 10 quid. :)

There were other choices, but all the mains had sold out. Some of the yummy desserts were strawberry & champagne mousse and a passionfruit dessert.

Hope you and Jonathan have a fabulous dinner.

LB said...

I think the pressure V-day is sort of lame but I definitely don't feel like we have to do anything. It only seems sort of critical either in high school or maybe like your first V-day together. We're probably just cooking dinner together. The best gift I can give him is not making him watch the Bachelor like I make us do every other week :)

Jonathan said...

I need to start utilizing my secret hiding place in our home for gifts and such. Jackie has no idea where it is.

katie said...

we're just doing dinner and enjoying each other's company. i have to work tonight and tomorrow night, so we went to dinner last night and will again on friday (need to use up a gift certificate that expires soon :)).

i can't wait to hear what your present is!!

Claire said...

Haha, I worked until 7 then headed to Trader Joe's. I actually just moved into a new place so am in the middle of unpacking/organizing. Super spesh, huh? In all seriousness, I only realized last week that V-day was near. If I did have a partner, I might have treated the day as an excuse to dine at a fancy place here in the city, not because it's romantic, but because I like to dine out. Hope you two had a nice night. ...Ooh, totally unrelated - I notice that you link to Amy's blog - she mentions Downton Abbey. Have you seen it? It's the most recent Masterpiece series, from the writer of (or at least someone affiliated with) Gosford Park. It's excellent. When you and Jonathan have seven free hours (four eps, 1.5 hours each), do watch it, and enjoy.

Jackie said...

Clairee - we started Downton Abbey this past weekend!

Kate said...

Jackie! So fun to read your blog. Just had to comment because I LOVE the conversation hearts too and always feel like I'm the only one who likes to eat them! Sadly, I also didn't get any this year. Hope y'all are doing well!