Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yum Yum Squash

I'm a big fan of squash.  I love the starchiness and sweetness.  I love that it can be sweet or savoury.  I love that spaghetti squash is a decent substitute for pasta.  I love that you can find it at all grocery store.  Big fan, all around.

So Sunday night I was making one of my go-to squash recipes, and as we were eating it, we were commenting about how delicious it is.  So - squash lover or not - if you're interested, here's the recipe (which is so so easy, it's worth a try).  I made it Sunday and also baked a piece of salmon - but I think it could absolutely stand alone as dinner.

Creamy Orzo With Butternut Squash

Ingredients
2 cups butternut squash, peeled, and cut into small cubes (I usually use a whole, medium-sized squash, which is more than 2 cups [and if you don't know squash, there are seeds you have to scoop out in the middle])
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup uncooked orzo
1 1/2 cup(s) water
1 cup broth (I use vegetable)
8 whole sprigs of thyme
2 Tbsp half-and-half (or whatever you have - milk, non-dairy creamer, cream, etc.)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat over to 425.  Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or cover it with foil.

In a medium bowl, toss squash with oil and salt; spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.  Roast, stirring halfway through, until squash is tender and lightly browned, about 25-35 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add orzo.  Stir constantly until orzo begins to smell toasty, about 3 minutes.  Add water, broth and thyme sprigs; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Remove thyme sprigs; stir in half-and-half, cheese and roasted squash.  Season with salt & pepper; serve...and enjoy!  Yum!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Mm, sounds good. How I do love fresh thyme. Have you tried the same using arborio rice? I'm very slowly becoming a better risotto-maker.

Sarah said...

Yum, that does sound good. Since I made your acorn squash recipe so successfully I will definitely try this one as well. I made two acorn squash when I made the recipe and ended up having a lot leftover, so I turned the rest of it with the apples into squash soup. Simple, but a great way to change up the leftovers. Keep the recipe ideas coming.

Team DesGranges said...

We went vegetarian last night (in a household that normally consumes an inordinate amount of meat) and had just roasted butternut squash for dinner! YUM! It was so so delicious, and really filling (although I fear looking at the carb intake). We also made mashed potatoes out of it, which I think we're eating tonight with some pork/chicken. Yay squash!