1) Do birds really "fly south" for the winter?
a) If so, to where? Memphis has birds in winter - do they fly here?
b) If they fly farther south (say an island in the Caribbean), how do they cross the ocean? As in, how can a tiny sparrow fly all that way without getting tired?
2) If your gas tank is low in the winter, could the gas really freeze when the car's turned off? Does anyone know someone to whom this has actually happened?
3) When a glass "sweats" (a glass of ice water on a hot day, for example), where does the "sweat" come from? I understand that it's condensation - but from where? The atmosphere?
4) What are a meteorologist's credentials? There's a girl who went to Rhodes who is a meteorologist now; I think she was an English major.
5) Remember those infomercials in the 90s about speed reading? You would run your hand over the page and read it in 2 seconds...? Does anyone know someone who can do this?
6) Does Rosetta Stone really work? Like, does someone know firsthand that it does?
7) Do any commercials on tv have "real people," that is, non actors? Like, the commercials for medical stuff (I'm thinking of toothpaste ads and that Restasis one with the pretty doctor) - are those really doctors - or actors? Or what about the ones for cleaning supplies/credit cards/Chevy/Toyota when the "real family" talks about how their family uses the item - are those actors?
8) Where are all the landfills for major cities? Like, where is the one for Memphis? I presume most landfills are enormous - why can't they be smelled from the whole city?
9) How do you get selected for the home makeover shows on HGTV? (Particularly Divine Design, because I'd like Candice Olsen to re-do my house.) Also - who pays? You or the network?
10) Does another person (or many!) exist in the World who has your exact same proportions - like, everything the same: height, weight, shoe, inseam, hips, waist, bust, calf/thigh/arm/neck circumference, arm length, etc. (If that person did exist, and you saw them walking down the street, do you think you'd recognize your body?)
Happy MLK Day, too! I'm home enjoying a lovely day off.