Friday, January 14, 2011

Fitness Friday

It feels a little weird for me not to have a goal (other than the "goal" of not weighing myself everyday and/or obsessing about my weight).  I like goals.  I like having some tangible thing I'm trying to achieve.  Sooooo - I think I'll make a new one!

Run ten miles on the treadmill in less than 1.5 hours.

I don't really have a specified date I'd like this completed - but I want to do it in the healthiest, most comfortable way possible for my body.  So I don't think it will necessarily happen next week.  I'm setting a time limit because I think, in theory, I could probably run ten miles now if I just took it super slow.  So I don't want that to be my goal (ie, just run 10 slow-a miles in 2+ hours).  I want to keep up with the pace I have now when I do my 6 or 7 mile runs which, according to my Nike+ GPS app*, is usually around 8:30-8:45.

So that's my new goal!  To achieve it, I'm just going to keep clocking the miles - and then gradually add onto them (even if that's adding an extra .25 at a time).  I've noticed that once I get to 7 miles, my body starts to get pretty achy - so I think I need to chill out there for awhile so I can get used to running that much on a regular basis.

Anyone else need a new goal?  Want to try to achieve it alongside me?

*This app is awe-some!  If you have an iPhone & you like to run, you need it.  Pay the $2.99.  It's worth it (and I'm not usually a person who pays for apps).

4 comments:

Amy said...

Do you think people either have the running gene or don't? I ran something like 2.75 miles last night at a pace of a 10 or 11 minute mile and was pouring sweat, face bright red, etc. The idea of 1) running even just one mile at 8:30 or 2) running 10 miles straight seems nearly impossible to me. Back in my swimming days I could swim forever and ever, but running just isn't the same. I just don't know!

Jackie said...

Amy - I think that unless there's a physical problem BEFORE running (like, bad feet/knees/back/whatev - that is, a problem NOT induced by running itself), anyone can.

When I first started (after my junior year of college), I literally ran like 200 yards the first time, I was too red-faced/exhausted to go on. Then I made it to 250 the next time. Then 300, etc.

I didn't start picking up my pace (that is, in the 8-minute zone), until maybe 3 months ago? Before that, I was always doing 10-minute miles.

So it grows on you if you do it a lot. I also used to swim a TON when I was younger. And I'm pretty sure that if I hopped into the pool tomorrow, even though I'm probably in pretty good cardiovascular shape, I wouldn't be able to swim EVEN CLOSE to how many laps I could when I was on swim team because my body isn't conditioned in that way anymore.

Sarah said...

I think Jackie is underselling herself a little here. I'd consider myself a casual lifetime runner/former athlete. While I agree with Jackie's theory that "anyone" without injuries can do this, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to run those distances at that pace. Good for you Jackie!

My surgically repaired knees are not big on long distances but I've had the goal for almost 10 years of sometime training to be able to run 4 miles in 32 minutes. Hopefully you have motivated me to finally bear down and do it...

Jonathan said...

Jackie and I had different views on running. I would run fast for short distances and she would run twice as far at a more moderate pace. Now she has combined them and is shaming me. I think Oprah must be an inspiration.