Monday, December 13, 2010

It's Been Awhile...

Even though I grew up in the Midwest, my almost-decade in the South has definitely acclimated my body to warmer temperatures.  Memphis just doesn't get that cold.  We don't get much snow.  It's a pretty comfortable place to live in winter (relatively speaking - that is, for a place that doesn't have a warm climate all year). 

You might imagine my surprise, then, when I checked the temperature this morning and weather.com told me it was:
13 degrees
(Feels like 0)

It's been awhile since I've felt zero.  And I can say pretty confidently that even though I battled Ohio winters for the first decade of my life, zero still feels pretty awful.  (An unfortunate element of this equation, as well, is that our house isn't insulated for super cold winters, as the houses are in colder parts of the country.)  We didn't get any snow, which is sort of unfortunate because getting snow in Memphis is fun - ie, we don't have a driveway to shovel and since the city reacts poorly to snowfall, it's totally acceptable to stay home from work.

No snow, but still Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

1 comment:

LB said...

Oooh that's really cold for Memphis! I just trudged through "feels like -7" snow for 20 minutes this morning. But somehow having snow on the ground makes it almost acceptable, you know?