Friday, December 17, 2010

Fitness Friday...Recap??

So Fitness Friday was originally proposed on November 12th, and it was to last up to Christmas.  If we're going by that schedule, this will be the last one.  I sort of like having a day to check in on what I'm doing with myself in terms of health/fitness, though - so there might be some more Fitness Fridays in the future.

If we're recapping from the original post, my two goals were to: 1) lose 9-10 pounds; and 2) workout most days of the week.

I did not achieve goal one.
I did achieve goal two.

Frankly I'm feeling a little confused by the whole weight loss thing.  After LB & Tippy's comments last week about how I'm potentially not eating enough calories (something also preached by Tony Horton of P90x), I did some internet research about it.  I'm feeling even more in the dark than I was before.

The LoseIt! app tells me I should eat ~1250/day to lose 2 lbs a week.  It doesn't account for exercise, other than "letting" you eat more if you work out.  One website I found said I should eat the amount of calories/day that would sustain my goal weight (which makes proper sense, I think); so I calculated that amount in the LoseIt! app and it was ~2000/day.  Mmmk. 

Then I found a website that gave me all these equations to calculate different stuff: my BMR (basal metabolic rate), and then the number of calories/day to lose weight.  This felt the most legit because I was using my current weight and my goal weight, and I was calculating how much I exercise (because I definitely have a high & intense exercise level every week).  I don't remember the exact number, but it was something like 3000 calories/day to lose weight.  Hmm.

I don't know.  I'm sure we can all argue points for any of those plans.  I'll tell you that the thought of eating 3000 calories/day freaks me out.  I don't think I could do it.

But anyway - I'm getting carried away with this one point.  To recap my week, I didn't eat awesome (ate out Wednesday for lunch & dinner; generally didn't care as much about counting calories) and I didn't exercise on Sunday (too hungover) or Wednesday (too lazy in the afternoon and then time crept away and I had book club).  So not a great week, really.  No weight lost - maybe a pound gained?  It's tough to tell what is legitimately weight gained vs. water retained following a day of bad eating.

I'm having some other general thoughts about weight loss and/or body image - but I'll probably save them for another post.

How did you guys do this week?

4 comments:

LB said...

I did okay! We went skiing on Saturday and Sunday so my quads/calves got an intense workout then. Did weights and cardio on Tuesday/Thursday and hoping to do more this weekend. It is such a pain in the A to get bundled and get to the gym that I'm just trying to set a goal for going every other day so that I can actually achieve it!

Question for y'all: what do you think about the effectiveness of an elliptical vs. a treadmill? My heart rate gets really high on the elliptical, but I find it hard to believe that I'm really burning like 400-500 calories in 40 minutes. Thoughts?

Jackie said...

You might do some internet research about the elliptical...

I've read that a pretty standard amount of calories burned when running is 100/mile (and then possibly plus some after the actual run - like, your heartrate stays elevated). It doesn't seem like an elliptical would burn MORE calories/mile than running because running is so much more taxing.

But then there's that weird thing about efficiency of movement. So potentially the elliptical is a more efficient calorie burner, in which case, maybe you do burn more than 100/mile.

How many miles do you clock in 40 minutes on the elliptical?

Also - I don't know if you're going by the calorie counter on the actual machine - but I'm pretty sure those aren't accurate - like, I remember reading somewhere that they can be off by HUNDREDS of calories (ie, telling you you've burned hundreds more than you actually have).

LB said...

I'm not sure how far I go (I've never looked! Weird) and yes I was going by the machine counter, which is why I was so sure it was off...I keep pretty good track of my heart rate during the workout though, so I think I could use that (plus the distance) to plug into a nifty little online calculator to get to the bottom of it...

Sarah said...

I sympathize with your frustration. I had a terrible cold all week that I am still not over. My exercise consisted only of power walking twice for 45 minutes each time, but due to my cold and inability to taste anything, I wasn't very hungry. So I lost a few pounds but this could also be water weight shed. However, not very motivating, it basically says laying around and sleeping 9-10 hours a night and not eating is best for weight loss. Ugh.