Wednesday, November 24, 2010

T-Giving Prelude

I mentioned my love of Thanksgiving yesterday.  But today I'd like to focus on one of my favorite aspects of the holiday: the build up.

It's no secret that I love the Food Network.  But in my opinion, some of its best material comes around holiday times when it does seasonal specials like "Let's Talk Turkey" or "Dear Food Network Thanksgiving."  Even though everything has probably been taped in July, and even though the Food Network stars probably aren't as chummy as they act, I still love these shows!  Giada correcting Bobby on how to say mascarpone?  Love it.  Sunny mock sassing Guy?  Ina and Alton - class vs. science?  I eat this stuff up.

New to me this year was the month-long prep on the blogosphere by the food bloggers.  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading my usual morning blogs solely dedicated to recipes relating to the big day.  I think when Thanksgiving actually becomes my cooking responsibility (if/when that ever happens), I will adore hearing about possible recipes that offer unique twists on the classics.  (And I don't even need to go here again - but can we talk about how awesome most food bloggers are with their photography?  I think it's a pre req: if you're going to have an awesome, legit food blog, you better be an awesome, legit photographer.)

Anyway, aside from food-only stuff, there's the two-week build up to Thanksgiving on the Today show.  All your needs covered for holiday prep.  You need some table-scape inspiration?  Tune in Tuesday.  Don't know which wine to serve with turkey?  Monday morning.  Curious how to make the holiday healthier?  Wondering which pie recipe is best?  Wednesday and Thursday mornings, respectively.

And all this holiday prep doesn't even begin to touch on all the lovely human interest stories that flood the news around the holiday.  Stories of people being thankful and grateful, and generally, people just being good people.  These stories are everywhere and in my opinion, they make the holiday fantastic - not just about eating and drinking.

I'll say it again: I love Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

katie said...

i love it, too!! hope y'all have a great one!