Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What a Snooze

Any blog readers I have from early on might remember a sad little diatribe I wrote on my inability to sleep like I could when I was younger.

Well, I'm here 9 months later to report that my sleeping has dramatically improved!  I still don't ever sleep through a whole night, but the quality of sleep I do get is much better.  Even though I wake up, I usually fall right back asleep.

I can think of a few things that have potentially aided the situation.

1) I rearranged my office at work so I don't turn my head in a weird way to look at the computer.  Because of this, I don't have constant neck pain - pain that prevented me from ever getting comfortable in bed.

2) Jonathan got this IN-CRED-I-BLE mouth piece that makes him not snore.  I mean, 100%, he doesn't snore anymore.  And in turn, I don't have to deal with earplugs.  The earplugs were tricky since I tossed & turned so much - so any time I'd switch sides, I'd have to adjust the ear plug.

3) I wear socks to bed.  (Katie's grandmother [I think] read an article saying that people who wore socks slept better.  No clue if this is a placebo effect for me - but I'll take it.)

4) We got rid of the tv in the bedroom.  (Well, it's not gone, but it doesn't get turned on anymore.)

5) I've started sleeping with an extra blanket.  I didn't necessarily realize that I was waking up a lot because I was cold.

6) I've started going to bed a little later (unless I'm super tired, of course).  We used to religiously get in bed at 10 and watch tv until we fell asleep.  Now I'll get in bed anywhere between 10 and 10:45 - and a lot of times, I'll get in bed and read until I get sleepy.  It equates to going to sleep at ~11 every night.

7) I stop consuming all liquids at 8pm (unless I have a nighttime cup of tea).  This eliminates middle-of-the-night bathroom breaks.

Another sort of funny thing is that I've started wearing those Breath Right nose strips at night.  I'm not sure this affects my sleep at all - but I noticed that pretty consistently (but especially when I lay down), at least one of my nostrils is clogged.  The Breath Right opens them up a little.

That's all I have to say, really.  If any of you have trouble sleeping & can't ever imagine it getting better, I definitely recommend trying out some new routines.  I thought I was a hopeless case and have been very pleasantly surprised.

No comments: