Friday, September 3, 2010

Cheese Please

Since I had such good response to my last post about old food, I thought you guys might like to know what happened the other day after work.

I got home and went in the kitchen to have a snack.  I opened the refrigerator door and went to the inner drawer where we keep all our cheeses.  I intended to eat some Cabot white cheddar that I'd just opened the day before.  Only - it wasn't there!

I always always keep cheese in the cheese drawer.  Even so, I looked through the rest of the fridge to see if I somehow stuck it on another shelf.  No dice.  Where could the cheese be?  Who took the cheese?

When thinking of possible scenarios, one came to mind: when I was getting a plastic baggie out of the drawer to put the opened cheese in, I accidentally stuck the whole cheese block into the drawer instead of the fridge. 

Eureka!

But then I was in a sort of weird place.  My cheese had been sitting in a drawer (unrefrigerated!!) for a day.  But it was good cheese!  And almost an entire block!  What to do...what to do...?

Maybe you can guess the outcome?

I ate it.  In all its delicious, warm, oozy-goozy glory.  It tasted the same (awesome) as if it'd been in the fridge.  And I'm alive to tell about the experience.  I experienced no side effects.  No unwanted trips to the bathroom.

And my theory about old food lives on...

2 comments:

Claire said...

ha, nice. would have done the same. also, realized we were supposed to have our catch-up this week. i'm terrible. i will try to remember to call you this next week!

Sarah said...

Definitely would have done the same thing. I love good cheese.