Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lose It!

Sorry about that little snafu yesterday.  I'm not sure if any of you read the unfinished blog post that published at 8am.  Basically, I'd written it weeks ago, but didn't finish.  So I'd set it to post "way in the future" (which was, coincidentally, yesterday) - thinking I'd have a chance to go back and finish it.  But I could never really get it to sound the way I wanted it to - so it sat & sat & sat in my queue until it posted yesterday without my notice.  Perhaps it will get finished and published at some point - but maybe not - no big loss, though, I promise.

So with that aside, I wanted to tell you guys about the iPhone app with which I'm currently obsessed.  It's called "Lose It!" and it's for calorie counting.

Lately I've been of the mindset that I want to stop eating "fake" foods - that is, processed stuff.  But also, I want to stop considering some whole foods off limits - stuff like avocados, nuts, nut butters (the natural kind, obv), full-fat cheese, etc.  And while these things are probably more nutritionally sound than, say, a Pop Tart, they can still have a lot of fat and/or calories.

My main grievance with the Weight Watchers program is that a point is a point is a point.  So a Pop Tart (just to keep going with that) might have 3 points.  Well, two tablespoons of natural peanut butter might have 4, in which case you're thrown into this weird place of "do I eat the Pop Tart, even though it's processed full of junk, or do I waste 4 points on two measly tablespoons of PB?"

So I wanted to find an app that helps me manage calories & isn't annoying to use or lacking in it's online database.  This is where Lose It! is awesome.  So you start by entering your gender/height/weight and come up with a weight-loss goal (lose no pounds a week [maintain]; lose one pound a week; lose 1.5 pounds a week; lose 2 pounds a week) and the program formulates how many calories you need to eat each day to reach your goal.
(And no, unfortunately I got this image from the internet - I'm not lucky enough to eat 1,911 calories a day to lose weight.)

And then you log your foods and exercise.  When you enter exercise, it reformulates how many calories you need to eat the rest of the day based on the calories spent during exercise.  And the database of exercises is tailored to your own height/weight/gender.  So for me, for example, 30 minutes of running at a 10 minute pace will burn 356 calories.

And the food database is really big.  Granted, it's easier since I've been eating mostly whole foods, so finding something like a sandwich from Panera might be more difficult.  But for me, everything I've needed to enter has been on there.  And if it's not, you can manually enter the calories in the item.
(Again, this is an image from the internet.  But how much cooler would you guys think I am if you knew my 45 minute exercise of the day was shooting hoops.)

So we'll see!  I'm hoping to drop a couple LBs before our Mex vacay (where I'll probably re-gain any loss at the swim-up bar - banana mama, anyone?).  But it's a cool app.  I highly recommend.  And actually, even if you don't want to lose weight, it's interesting to see the exercise and how many calories are burned during different kinds.

No comments: