Monday, June 28, 2010

Flower Thievery

As far as I can remember, I've never stolen anything.  Like, I don't have that one funny story from childhood where I was in a store and saw a toy and had to have it, etc.  I just never did that.  I was a huge friggin wuss I must've had an early grasp of moral responsibility.

And that same wussiness moral duty has accompanied me into adulthood.  Until now.  Enter: the Crape Myrtle

These things are as abundant in my neighborhood in Summer as the azaleas are in Spring. And they're gorgeous!  Usually they're dark pink (pictured), light pink, purple, or white.  In our own side yard we have a few light pink and white ones.  And trust me, if ours were all small and I could reach the blooms, I would cut my own tree.  But they aren't - ours are too big.  So, um, sometimes, I, um, cut other people's flowers for display in my house.

[cue lightening bolts & thunder]

I guess? know it's bad.  It's rude to snip anything out of someone else's yard.  But to be fair, these trees are big and have tons of blooms; and they don't really require work - so it's not like I'm visiting the house of an award-winning gardener who slaves away on her trees.  I don't think I'd ever steal someone's real flowers - like the kind that require maintenance and care (unless maybe the house was vacant, then it would seem like fair game, but that's neither here nor there).

So I'd like to admit to the world that I've done this a few times lately.  Once before I hosted book club at my house, and once before my in laws came over for a birthday dinner.  Because flowers from the store are expensive!  And the flowering myrtle blooms are so pretty!  And it's just soooo easy to go out there and gather flowers instead of driving to the store.

I know, it's bad.  But then I started to think about my own trees.  If I looked outside and one of my neighbors was snipping from my tree, I don't think I'd be mad.  Or if I was mad, I certainly wouldn't have the guts to go out there and say anything.

Do you guys ever have wandering scissors?

No comments: