Thursday, April 15, 2010


I pulled out this little beauty for the first time a couple nights ago. Not sure if you can tell from the picture - but it's a Cuisinart Mini Prep (notice the cup placed next to it for perspective). It was pretty cool - I definitely need to remember it's in the drawer when I need to mix small things or chop just a small amount.

I tried a new recipe for spicy peanut noodle sauce that I wanted to share with y'all because it was delicious and pretty easy. Also, it came together nicely since I had all things on hand.

So.....Spicy Peanut Noodle Sauce

1/4 c toasted sesame seeds (which, I didn't have & instead substituted 1 Tbsp of hummus - get it, chickpeas & tahini - tahini is sesame seed paste...? Anyway...)
1/4 c peanut butter
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp grated ginger
5 Tbsp soy sauce (I used reduced sodium)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp hot sauce
2 Tbsps light brown sugar

I mixed it in the Mini Prep - and voila - a delicious, spicy peanut sauce! I'm sure you could think of a number of inventive things to do with this. I cooked up some whole wheat fettuccine. Then heated some shrimp in a huge skillet with chopped green onion; added the pasta when it was cooked; tossed the pasta & shrimp with a little more sesame oil; then added some steamed, chopped broccoli and 2 grated carrots; added the sauce; and let it all cook together for a couple minutes. I garnished with more chopped green onion & chopped peanuts - and squirted each plate with lime. Totally yum, totally easy - just a lot of dishes to be cleaned at the end [enter sous chef].

2 comments:

LB said...

Wow. I really hope I get to this cooking stage at some point!

Claire said...

Super clever substitution with the hummus. I would have never thought to do that. Also, you could probs add cilantro to this? Mmm, I'm game for any variation on peanut-y noodles.