Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Zzzzzzzz

Sleeping used to be one of my talents. In college, I had to set an alarm for all morning classes. Sometimes on the weekends, Katie & I had to set an alarm for 2pm so we could make the meal cutoff for the afternoon. An 8 o'clock class was really tough for me - not to mention a 6am Bible study on Friday mornings of my senior year (which I ended up attending rarely to never).

I was even more talented with my sleeping in high school, with the ability to sleep anywhere, anytime. Sleeping locations included, but were not limited to: plays, movies, a Santana concert (I know - I'm awesome), any car ride - no matter the distance/time, floors, buses, airplanes, at two different Cirque Du Soleil shows, and perhaps the most impressive, Disney World. (We were on a school trip to Disney World and I fell asleep at a table while we waited for friends to get off a ride.) Not to mention that most nights, when I got home from school, I would sleep on the couch until dinnertime.

But it's not the random places or even the quantity of sleep that I reminisce about now - it's the type of sleep. I used to get in bed at night, fall asleep, and wake the next morning when my alarm went off. Pretty much all the time. Some nights would be full of dreams. But then sometimes, my alarm would go off in the morning, and it felt like one minute had passed between falling asleep and that moment.

Now, on the other hand, I can say with 100% affirmation that I can't remember the last time I went to bed at night and didn't wake up until the next morning - but it has been at least 4 years. (Aside from nights aided by Ambien - but I try to keep those minimal - and actually haven't taken one since June.) Four. Years. If you are a person who doesn't have any sleep issues, imagine how awful it would be to not sleep through any night in four years.

And one of the truly mystifying things about it is that I don't know why I wake up. Some nights it's because I can't get comfortable; some nights it's because Jonathan is snoring; some nights I'm up worrying about things; some nights I'm scared the boogie man will break into our house; but the majority of the time, I just wake up. And it's infuriating - especially considering my sleeping past.

Now I do think there's something that happens to our bodies as we get older - a stronger internal clock, if you will - that allows us to wake up for work everyday, and wakes us up earlier on the weekends than we might like, and that prohibits us from sleeping until noon like we did when we were teenagers. But I do not think this internal clock prohibits the average person from sleeping through the night.

Or does it? What do you all think? How have your sleeping habits changed, if at all, from when you were younger? And - the question I really want answered - do you all sleep through the night the majority of the time?

(As a side note - our new king-sized bed is awesome! It's really comfortable and HUGE! But no, I still don't sleep through the night. With the increased size, though, it's maybe a little easier to fall back asleep after I wake up - so that's a plus.)

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I think someone's own snoring wakes her up!

LB said...

Haha - busted!

I think you're just used to getting up early for work, and maybe you're going to bed earlier than back in the day, because I can still sleep until 11 or 12 if given the opportunity...and I give myself the opportunity a lot :)